A Conversation for The disease of addiction?

A Definition of an Alcoholic

Post 1

ODAAT

Hi.

I was very interested in your page, having had first hand experience of alcoholism, being a recovered alcoholic myself. My grandfather also committed suicide as a result of alcoholism and I have also known many people die as a result of this illness, including personal friends. Unfortunately, most of them believed they weren't real alcoholics, thought they could handle it on their own and discovered, to their detriment, that they couldn't. Alcoholism is the third biggest killer illness in the world.

There IS a difference between heavy drinkers, which you talk about in your article, and alcoholics.

Alcoholics drink for primarily for two reasons, in my experience.

One- We have a physical allergy to alcohol.

By allergy, I mean we react abnormally to alcohol. Apparently one in ten people react this way, including me. I have not just been told I react this way, I know from countless experiences. Once we put alcohol into our system, it sets up a phenomenon of craving for more of the same. The more we drink, the more we crave. One is too many, a thousand is not enough. An alcoholic doesn't drink too much, an alcoholic never drinks enough.
The scientific community have specific explanations for this, something to do with the number of acetones created whilst drinking, which are different in alcoholics.

Two- We have a mental obsession that tells us that this time it will be different. This time we will handle ourselves like normal folk. This time we will be able to take one or two drinks and get away with it, despite countless experiences to the contrary.

The allergy is progressive- our drinking always gets worse, never better. Again, I have not just read this in a book, I have experienced it in myself and seen it in others.

The only way I have personally found of breaking this cycle is thru AA, which has prevented me from taking a drink for 2 years and three months, one day at a time. I could not stop on my own resources for anything like that amount of time. (Try days rather than years).

* I AM NOT HOWEVER A SPOKESPERSON FOR AA. THE VIEWS CONTAINED IN THIS ARTICLE ARE NOT, NECESSARILY, THE VIEWS OF AA OR ENDORSED BY THEM.*

I am not saying that there aren't other ways to recover from alcoholism. I just haven't found them.

I believe that heavy drinkers can give up drinking altogether or control their alcohol intake given good enough reason to do so, which is what you were implying in your article. Reasons can include ill health, falling in love, or the warning of a doctor, amongst others. This is different to having the disease of alcoholism.

Post 2

kif

I have just read odaat's posting and agree with every word written. I came to A.A in 1976 and turned my life around.
Anyone can do it if they are able to work the A.A. programme. Just look A.A up in the 'phone book and help is available
Kif

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more