This is the Message Centre for Kate Schechter (Back on the right side of the pond)

Thinking aloud

Post 1

Kate Schechter (Back on the right side of the pond)

OK, so anyone who has read my journals (and I'm thinking that it's not many people who have) knows by now that I am pretty happy with the way my life is going; that until not that long ago, I *wasn't* happy with the way my life was going, and that I'm really thrilled to find myself in this new state of being generally content and comfortable with my life. Things, as they say, are going swimmingly, and I'm glad.

As it was only a few months ago that I was not happy, (I was really rather smiley - blue, to be honest) many of my friends have stood back and watched my life transform. They, of course, are happy for me, at least any of the true friends are, and this is a good thing. However...

I have a friend, a good friend, that I'll call 'John'. John is one who has watched me go from shattered, broken wreck to the happy person that I am today. He has really been happy for me, which is good, but what I am starting to realize is... he has been seeming happier to me for about the same period of time. I really thought we were both settling into our respective lives with a fair amount of contentedness. Then he confessed that most of his 'happiness' of late has hinged on MY happiness... He's been happy for me.

He still is pretty low, I guess. We talk constantly - he has moments of smiley - blue but overall, he seemed pretty content. Now I find out that's not the case at all... And I can't help but wonder - even if part of him is glad that I am happy, and taking some joy from that... is my being happy a way of leaving him behind? I hate to keep telling him about the wonderful stuff that is happening in my life, if it just reminds him of how things are not going the way he wants them to. I can't tell which side of the coin I should be looking at - am I giving him hope? Or giving him despair? Should I stop telling him how swimmingly things are going? I don't know what to do... I don't want to hurt him - he's been an amazingly good and supportive friend, and while I'm trying desperately to do the same, I can't help but think I'm doing the opposite, without even realizing it. I dunno. As the subject says, Thinking aloud, but if anyone *does* happen upon this, and has any thoughts, I'm more than happy to hear them.

Kate

Thinking aloud

Post 2

ChiKiSpirit -- A1008604

....sorry to intrude on your thoughts....I actually came here to look for some help about my MuG logo thingy because I thought you were a member of the Musicians Guild, but now I see you don't have a logo, but seeing as I'm here anyway...I found it a little bit confusing trying to understand exactly what you meant about John being happy about you being happy....er....but....well why shouldn't he be happy about you being happy, even if he's a little bit sad? Isn't there some way you can cheer him up and still be happy at the same time? Of course, I don't know the circumstances.....I was just passing......smiley - rainbow

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Kate Schechter (Back on the right side of the pond)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more