This is the Message Centre for Solaires_grandad

My bike (part 1 and 2)

Post 1

Solaires_grandad

So, there I am with a very nive 125 Virago. I bought it for £600 and spent around £200 getting it up and running. It had been standing in a garag for nearly 30 months so it did need some work. It turned out to be a great bike. Clean, tidy and a proper head turner. I.m not worried about speed, it was used mainly to go to and from work, and I'm never in a hurry to get to work.After owning it for just over a year it was attacked.smiley - wah One of my sons and me had a row, and he set about the bike with a garden spade. Sh** was the first thought I had, then insurance the second thought I had. After about a month of being without my own transport, the insurance company came up with a figure of £1400. Considering I only insured it for £1500, I thought I got a good deal there.smiley - ok

Now all I needed was another bike. I'd cut the odds down to a choice of 3 possibles. Virago, Drag Star or Intruder (if pushed I might have gone for a Shadow). The advert on Bike Trader just jumped out of the screen.
"2002, 125 Drag Star, 827 miles, excellent condition, £1999."
I rang the guy and said I'd buy it without seeing it. He sent me a couple of larger pictures of it and that was what sold me.
I picked it up last Sunday (20th June). The pictures just don't do it justice. I could easily get away with saying it was a new bike. It's one of the best examples I've ever seen of this bike. There's not a mark or spot of rust anywhere. (There soon will be if Wimbledon doesn't finish soon. We should never, ever under any circumstances buy a bike during Wimbledon fortnight. It always rains)smiley - sadface.

I loved the Virago but this is something different. It's more comfortable, it handles extremely well, it's got about the same top end of 60-65ish. It looks a lot bigger and it's got a far more mellow, growling sound to it. I'm more than pleased with it. And then I had the cheek to ask if the guy would knock a bit off. I knew before I asked he was never going to do that, and I don't blame him.smiley - biggrin

So that's how I've got an almost new Drag Star for a total outlay from my own pocket of £1400.

There's a bit of a post script though.

My son took me down to collect the bike and we stopped to have a drink on the way back.smiley - cheers

"You know dad," this is a crippler, "I did you a bit of a favour there"smiley - laugh.
To make it worse I agreed with him. I hope he don't do me any more favours though. Ones enough to be going on with.

Hope you all enjoy reading this.

Key: Complain about this post

My bike (part 1 and 2)

More Conversations for Solaires_grandad

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more