This is the Message Centre for TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

And I might be househunting again in the New Year

Post 1

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

My landlord is selling the house. Don't know who's going to buy, but they might be want it for themselves, and evict me. That'd be annoying.

It'd be a pity if I had to move: I like the place I'm in. It's half a bungalow: front door is me; back door someone else. Both sides have a kitchen, bathroom, and two bedrooms (I had a look at the other half of the house before moving into my half).

It's nice, quiet, on the edge of town, easy walking distance to anywhere. And the rooms are fairly large. The hallway is large enough for a computer desk and chair to sit in it without blocking the passageway.

Hopefully the new owners will buy to rent, so I can stay where I am.

I had to tidy the place so the agent could bring viewers in. It's now tidier than it's been for months! And now I have the BBC Radio player, I may be able to keep it that way.

TRiG.smiley - sigh

Post 2

Recumbentman

Are you likely to have the rent increased under you, if you can stay?

Post 3

Really don't know. A friend of mine thought that the current rent, if the same for both sides of the house (which it probably is, as they're similar), would probably cover the mortgage with a little over, so there should be no need to increase it.

I suppose I'll have to wait and see.

TRiG.smiley - shrug

Post 4

psychocandy-moderation team leader

That sucks. In Illinois, if you rent, and your landlord sells, the new owner can't evict you. They have to wait till the end of your lease and then opt not to renew it.

It sounds like a nice place, and I hope you won't have to leave.

Post 5

Superfrenchie

smiley - hug fijn,gzrs crosseed (... can you tell?) smiley - smiley

Post 6

myk

Thumbs crossed toosmiley - oksmiley - cheers

Post 7

They're kicking me out. I have till the 22nd of April to find somewhere.

It wasn't till I was told that I realised how much I like this place. It suits me. After moving out of my parents' place, I was in a whole succession of rented accommodation. None of them felt like home. I moved into all of them knowing I'd be moving out again fairly soon. I've been here around two years, and it's come to feel like home.

One of the things I like about the place is the spare bedroom. It means I can have guests! In theory. In practice, I once had a fiend over. Now I feel that I wasted that opportunity.

Besides any emotional attachment that I've developed to the place, there's the practical fact that I'm very unlikely to find somewhere better, with room for books and computer. All the rental places available seem to be in the town centre, and therefore (a) noisy, and (b) expensive. I might end up in a room in a shared house again, and I really would rather not.

This is intensely irritating.

TRiG.smiley - sigh

Post 8

Baron Grim

Ugh!

Post 9

Malabarista - now with added pony

In case it helps, my flat is empty for pretty much all of May, so if you can find somewhere to store your things, you could just go on an extended tea break here if you need to wait until something else becomes available! Good internet to work on, too...

Post 10

Your flat ... in Vienna?

TRiG.smiley - bigeyes

Post 11

Malabarista - now with added pony

Yep. It might be a bit of a commute, but if you can work from (my) home for a month, why not?

Post 12

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Three weeks seems far too little notice to move. Are you sure that's legal?

very best of luck in finding a new place. But, Vienna sounds a plan!

Post 13

I actually think I'll dig out my lease and reread the fine print. It's all been handled by an agent (the same agent who handled renting the place also handled selling it, and is still handling the rent for the new owners), so it's probably legal, but no harm checking.

TRiG.smiley - geek

Post 14

Sho - employed again!

'probably legal' wouldn't be enough for me. I assume you pay rent monthly?

I'm pretty sure they have to give you a month.
smiley - hug

Post 15

Baron Grim

A quick search indicates a minimum notice of 28 days.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/eviction/harassment_and_illegal_eviction_by_landlord/illegal_eviction

Post 16

Sho - employed again!

I don't think he's in England though smiley - sadface

Post 17

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html#la1b6d

I think I've been there just under two years.

TRiG.smiley - geek

Key: Complain about this post