This is the Message Centre for Estelendur (AKA Esty)

Homosexuality

Post 1

Estelendur (AKA Esty)

This is being typed with no visual aids - the monitor is turned off. Later it will be edited, but this is a time for me to spill my guts out, or at least state my opinion on certain things. Take homosexuality. I believe that homosexuality is perfectly natural, and merely another difference like skin color, eye color, gender, level of intelligence, etc. Now, by intelligence, I mean capability, not actual knowledge absorbed. Capability to absorb and use knowledge, I mean. And information. Now, I believe that homophobia is merely a specialized form of xenophobia, fear of foreigners. Now, there is much less separating the residents of first-world countries than there was a century ago. So, we must needs turn on our own. Of course, this particular statement/expression of this theory is erroneous, most likely, because homosexuals were despised and outcast centuries ago and still are today. This stigma was not placed upon male-male love in ancient greece, for example, to note one culture of importance. Sadly, only one culture that I know of has been accepting of bisexuality. For there is or are very few people who are 100%^ hetero- or homosexual. Most of us will have 'feelings' for someone of our own gender some time in our lives. Very few of us will acknowledge these feelings, but they are still there. I say often that 'it takes one to know one', or, in other words, people hate in other people what they hate in themselves. I bet this needs serious typo-patrol. That comes later. I will delete no words from this ramble, becaus that's just what it is: a rambling, a map of the twisty paths my thoughts take. I should keep typing; ten minutes is a good amount of time to write. Well, it may be a tad too long for me. Back to the topic. Or not. I really, really, cannot think of anything more to say. Oh, wait. Yes I can. Many heterosexuals claim that homosexual marriages will threaten the institution of marriage as it is traditionally known. You know what I say to that? Look around you. Many more children than you would think have to deal with divorced parents. I would be grateful if someone gave me exact figures. It seems the majority of couples are unhappy. In all probability, the majority are relatively happy... 'Relatively' is an awful word, don't you think? I takes up all of four syllables and ten letters, and yet we use it all the time. Maybe I will edit this, after typo-checking.There are an inordinate number of extra words in here. This may be free-flowing thought, but if I'm to inflict it on others, I should remove entirely superfluous words, if only for the sake of readability. There. I'm done. Happy?

Coren: Oh, yes, quite.

Shut up, Coren.

Coren: Aye-aye, Esty

No editing was in fact done, for the sake of authenticity, though several typos were corrected -Ed.

Additional note: In an email to a friend, I used the example of hair color as something illogical to be prejudiced against, and she pointed me to a poem by A. E. Housman written about the imprisonment of Oscar Wilde. The poem can be found here: http://www.poemtree.com/poems/OhWhoIsThat.htm Go read it. smiley - smiley

Homosexuality

Post 2

TeaKay

I tried to think of something worthwhile to type here, but I can't really think of anything. It's been a long and boring day, and the Eloquency and Interestingness centres of my mind have shut down for the night.

So I'll just say that yes, I agree with everything you said about homosexuality and bisexuality.

TK[1]smiley - pirate

Homosexuality

Post 3

Estelendur (AKA Esty)

smiley - hug So look again tomorrow. Where are you, anyway? For me, it's the middle of the afternoon.

Homosexuality

Post 4

TeaKay

I'm in England. For me, it's about 7:30 in the evening. Where are you?

TK[1]smiley - pirate

Homosexuality

Post 5

Estelendur (AKA Esty)

United States, Eastern time zone.

Homosexuality

Post 6

TeaKay

Ah, we only have one time zone here, not like you greedy folks over there.

Actually, it may be because we're only little.

My geography is awful. I know nothing about where anything is in America, so I won't ask you where abouts you are because I wouldn't know where it was in relation to anything else at all... I'll just assume you're in the East somwhere.

TK[1]smiley - pirate

Homosexuality

Post 7

Estelendur (AKA Esty)

Okay.

Homosexuality

Post 8

Jerms - a Brief flicker and then gone again.

lol.

For my part, I agree with VERY NEARLY everything you said, although I disagree "that homophobia is merely a specialized form of xenophobia" - I think the two types of phobia are similar but distinct - different branches of "fear of people who aren't like me", or perhaps "fear of people who aren't like who I want to be"... hmmm. That's still not right, but it's too early in the morning for me to think about that definition too much more... I don't want my brain to turn to cheese until at least dinner time.

I agree with the rest of what you said, though. smiley - cheers

Homosexuality

Post 9

Estelendur (AKA Esty)

Well, your definition is more accurate, and I'm glad you took the time to read it. Keep in mind this was entirely free-flowing thought. smiley - smiley Free-flowing thought doesn't do that kind of distinguishing. smiley - smiley

Homosexuality

Post 10

Jerms - a Brief flicker and then gone again.

Truetrue! smiley - smiley

Homosexuality

Post 11

Estelendur (AKA Esty)

smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Estelendur (AKA Esty)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more