This is the Message Centre for Ivan the Terribly Average

Sage advice

Post 21

Lady Pennywhistle - Back with a vengeance! [for a certain, limited value of Vengeance; actual amounts of Vengeance may vary]

Sage is lovely! We have a pot of it on our balcony, and it's so nice to have fresh sage leaves whenever you want them. smiley - smiley

If you're making a base of sauteed onions for vegetable or meat dishes (at least, ones that have a relatively neutral flavour profile; I wouldn't bother with something that already has other dominant spices), put some sage in the oil or butter first, to really release the flavour. You can even separately fry some whole sage leaves until they're crispy, to use as a garnish.
If you're making tomato soup, same thing - start with some sage, then the onions, tomatos and so on.
Finely chop some sage for a basic honey-lemon-garlic sort of marinade for chicken. It's wonderful.

And make (herbal) tea with it. You can either put some branches in bioling water and let them soak a while, like you would with tea bags, or for a stronger flavour cook sage in water until it boils, then strain and drink - the latter would probably require sugar in it or it'd be too bitter to drink, and personaly I like adding a little bit of sugar to the former, too, even though I usually don't add sugar to tea. Anyway, it's supposed to be good for you in a natural-remedy sort of way, but I don't know about that. I just find it very fragrant and comforting, when I feel a little under the weather.

Sage advice

Post 22

Ivan the Terribly Average

It's nice to know there are so many things to do with sage. I've only ever grown it for the pretty flowers. smiley - blush

Sage advice

Post 23

Heleloo - Red Dragon Incarnate

I use sage with lamb mostly

Sage advice

Post 24

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I'm going to have to try making a version of that stuffing. smiley - drool I love stuffing, but aside from a couple of local restaurants and only around Thanksgiving time, I can't eat it unless I prepare it myself. I get bored with my old recipe sometimes. New ones are always exciting, especially if they have sage in them.

Sage advice

Post 25

Titania (gone for lunch)

smiley - bluebutterfly

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Ivan the Terribly Average

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more