A Conversation for Parsec

Useful definitions

Post 1

beeline

You'll have to define parallax for people now!

For a parsec, the following definition, avoiding using the term parallax, might be useful:

Imagine a large triangle in space that has the following shape:

* 1 short side at the bottom which is the average distance between the Earth and the Sun - also called an Astronomical Unit or AU, and about 93 million miles or 150 million kilometres)
* 2 long sides of equal length that stretch up and away to a star exactly 1 parsec away.

Now, if you were to stand on this star, you would see, if you had a nice big telescope (and if you hadn't yet been burned to a crisp), that the Earth and the Sun were exactly 1 arc-second (1/3600th of a degree) apart in the sky. This confirms that you are a parsec away from them (but only because you know how far apart they actually are (i.e. 1 AU).

So, what's next? Oort constants? Hee hee! smiley - winkeye

I was nearly an astronomer... money looked too nice, though!

Useful definitions

Post 2

SetupWeasel

I'm starting to have that same feeling about astronomy, except it is not really money I'm after.

I want to have a life. smiley - smiley

I just can't see myself married to one tiny segment of astronomy for my entire life.

Useful definitions

Post 3

Bluebottle

I could have been an astronomer, except that in the city there are too many neon lights, and as a side effect, too much night-life. smiley - sadface
I now have to content myself with re-runs of Star Trek.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Parsec

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more