This is the Message Centre for PeterG

barbed wire

Post 1

rebeccablackdog

i am trying to find out where the germans bought their barbed wire from when they constructed their concentration camps (and also prisoner of war camps) in Europe during WW2. If the suppliers were American (since it makes sense because so much barbed wire was manufactured there) did the KNOW what the purpose of the barbed wire was? ie extermination of the Jews?

Also, who supplied the germans with the barbed wire that they used for trench defences in WW1?

Can't seem to find this information anywhere! No one seems to be owning up to it anyway...

barbed wire

Post 2

Barman-Andy (WW2 Community Member)

Have you tried asking the ww2 community?

You may want to try the <./>help</.> desk, one of the staff may be able to help you.smiley - ok

Andy!smiley - smiley

barbed wire

Post 3

PeterG

Hi Rebecca

Although barbed wire was invented in the USA (by Joseph F. Glidden in 1873), by 1880 it was readily available all over the world. The French were the first to use it for military purposes and by 1902 barbed wire entanglements were devised to stop advancing infantry. Its use reached its peak in WW1.

Not much barbed wire was used in WW2 (compared with WW1, that is) simply because fronts were not as static and mine fields were more effective.

America had ceased trading with Germany well before 10 December 1941, when the Axis declared war on her. I had always assumed that Germany made its own barbed wire and I am not aware of any imports. The holocaust (euphemistically dubbed "the Final Sollution") was decided upon at the Wansee Conference on 20 January 1942, a few weeks after Germany was at war with the USA. So no American barbed wire was involved. In any event, not much wire was required to guard a concentration camp, a few electrified strands were a deadly barrier.

Best wishes,

Peter

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for PeterG

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more