This is the Message Centre for ex4thhussar

Your Articles

Post 1

Ron Allen

Hi Ron

I had been intending to write and congratulate you on your many interesting contributions for quite a while, but health problems with both myself and my wife meant that I had little time to engage with the site, having made two contributions of my own.

However, I seem at the moment to have a bit more time. I put another story on the site a few days ago (A5540960). It was while preparing a photo to illustrate it that I recalled a photo you had added to a story which I thought was very similar. It is, except that yours is an army M/C and mine was a civilian one. Your article with the illustration is A2611937. I think you will agree they are very similar. Although I owned the one in my illustration, I used it officially for several months to carry messages etc to different S/L sites when it was not necessary to take the stores lorry. (I was the Section - later Troop - driver). The useful thing about this was that it explained WD petrol being in my tank.

Your "Army Transport" article and the correspondence with Frank Mee I found of particular interest when you both listed the various vehicles you had driven in the army. It started me thinking about those I had driven.

I also like the many photos you have added to the site. Am I right in thinking you are a keen photographer?

The article you contributed about getting your army records was useful. I intend to do the same since I had a 6 year long battle with the War Office over the cash I received on demob. - Some of my records concerning promotion had not got from India to the War Office. I wonder whether it is now recorded properly - I eventually got the money.

Lastly, the information you have given most recently will be very useful to a lot of people. I think it it would be a good thing for people to be able to correspond after the site closes at the end of the year.

Kind regards

Ron Allen

Your Articles

Post 2

ex4thhussar

Hi Ron

It's encouraging to know that there are folk out there who find my bits and pieces of interest and even flattering when they appear to have encouraged others !
You are quite right, of course, the two 'motor-byke' photos are similar although in all honesty my spell as a Don-R lasted exactly one day and I found the byke terribly heavy when at rest.
My army records have been of tremendous help to me as an aide-memoire, as was my album, and I make a point of recommending the service to anyone who will listen and yes, my camera is never far from my side.

Do send in more of your own stories before the cut-off date of December 31 and I will look out for them with interest.

Best wishes

Ron

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for ex4thhussar

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more