A Conversation for TBWP - Carding the Witch

Underage Viewers (Like Me)

Post 1

JediSlider

I am 14. Fifteen this week. I am one of the ones who have found themselves mature enough to get through, yet to go back and look at it.

My parents gave me permission to go see it with my debate teacher and some other students. If they hadn't, I would have snuck in another day. After all, it's only profanity.

At the time, I didn't realize ALL the reasons it was. I had snuck into rated R movies before, and been given permission for others. My parents tend to only give permission for those that suit their tastes in films. I had watched the SciFi Channel special, and been online for hours, learning and preparing. I have heard of people freaking out after the special, so perhaps it's a good test.

In the end, a teen has to take a good look at themself and ask if it's something they should see. I and many others may not have slept the first night after viewing it, but neither did many twenty year olds I know. We thrive on the film, looking deep into, all the possibilities, allowing shivers as we recall some frightening scenes.

Still, I know some people who probably shouldn't see it for a long time. They likely would not be able to deal with it. It all depends on the person, but no matter what...

....If you go, go with friends or family. Being alone isn't fun.

And listen to Zachsmind, he's pretty smart about this. But if a person truly wants to go, they probably will, regardless of parents.

Post 2

Zach Garland

Thanks JediSlider. That's a very good impression of the film from the perspective of someone 'underage.' From the horse's mouth, as it were.

I think Blair Witch proves just how weak the MPAA ratings system is. I think I've said this before but it's worth repeating: The X-Files movie is worse than Blair Witch, and X-Files was only PG-13. It was more gory and violent. I mean they blow up an entire building in X-Files! But they don't use the F word, so they got a lower rating.

That's just dumb.

Post 3

JediSlider

Yep, we get kinda creeped out, and watch them dig through bloody bodies, etc. Kids hear and start using the F-word in junior high, so the movie wouldn't shock most of 'em in that respect. But it is scarier than the X-Files, unless you're obsessed with gory films. smiley - smiley

Post 4

trinityomega

Ok. I agree totally with the concept that underage people should not be allowed into rated R movies IF they are doing it without consulting their parents. However, I am almost 17, I will be next week and I can't see how two weeks can mean the difference between seeing a movie and getting carded so that I cannot see it. When I saw BWP, I went with my boyfriend who is approxmetly the same age as me and we did not get carded. Personally, I was scared completely s**tless by the movie but I loved it because no other movie has managed to scare me so completely. I think the scary part of the movie is the fact that not only do you have the terrifing events, you are exposed to the darker side of human nature, something that would give the average 14 year old a big time system shock. I really think the age of R rated movies should be lowered from 17 to 16 just because I think that the maturity level of mpst people doesn't change as much over that time period as between, say 15 and 16. But that's just me.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for TBWP - Carding the Witch

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more