This is the Message Centre for Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

To all Music Lovers

Post 1

Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

smiley - bluelight

I am sure that you have probably all noted the fact that the Young Musicians of 2006 semi finals and finals are being held this week. As I have only just noted it I thought I could alert you.

They are being held a 21.00 every night this week on BBC4 except for Friday. The finals are being held on Saturday on BBC2 at the same time.

Something lovely and awe inspiring to look forward to this week.

Regards

Christiane AR1 smiley - schooloffish

To all Music Lovers

Post 2

Carole

Thanks AR I shall look forward to that too.

I have two very musical grand daughters (11 and 8) who are learning flute and cello and both sing in choirs. When they play together, and we all sing along sometimes, it is magical. I am considering trying to learn the piano so I can accompany them - guess it is never too late!!smiley - smiley

To all Music Lovers

Post 3

Dear Carole,
so glad about the musical grandchildren. I hope that they will also be able to listen to the semi finals and finals. Perhaps you could record it if it is too late for them with school. The musicianship is quite astounding.

Well done learning the pianosmiley - wowsmiley - applause.

I had a musical mother who had studied the violin at the Paris conservatoire. Sadly I had the greatest difficulty sight reading, have preferred to listen to wonderful musicians instead of learning something painstakingly and then playing it badly!!smiley - sadface But I do love it.

How is the venture going with the B&B (I think it was?)

Warm regards

christianeAR1 smiley - schooloffish

To all Music Lovers

Post 4

Carole

Dear Christiane

We have now ceased to trade as a B & B - we have retired and not a koment too soon as far as I am concerned. It is such hard work.
I am now gardening, swimming, dog walking and going out for days with friends - much nicer.

Hence the other interests creeping in. The only preoblem with learning the piano would be I would have to learn to read music. I haven't done it since I was at school and I wasn't that good then! My mother could play and a coisin of mine also. Another cousin is a drummer - so I guess music is in the family. So I should be able to do it.
But maybe I will just stick to writing!

Nice to hear from you again
Carolesmiley - biggrin

To all Music Lovers

Post 5

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

I am jaloaus of musicians, because they can use hand and brain coordination / functions at same time. I smiley - love music, but sadly I never mastered the part of making music. same reason I can not drive a car.

To all Music Lovers

Post 6

Very dear pheloxi,

But you can listen to music. Please do try and listen to BBC4 tonight at 21.00 Last night was quite fascinating and the percussionists were extraordinary. I particularly liked the marimbas. I believe it is an african musical instrument. the girl who was from somerset playing it absolutely beautifully. She also playted the drums well, but the chaps have many more gadgets on their drum equipment which I think attracted the judges, Silly things!!

AR1 smiley - schooloffish

To all Music Lovers

Post 7

marimba nice "talking like" sound. I also like the dhol from India.

a while bacn I discovered Arifrican / Irish called Afro Celt sound system all tho they use modern music instruments and voices. they also mix in traditional intruments and voices from Africa and Celtic countries. later they added the dhol, Spanish guitar and other intruments and voices.

I like mix of African drum with Celtic flute.

To all Music Lovers

Post 8

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Hi AR1,
I enjoyed some of the percussion final last night - although I rather felt that the winner 'cheated' by having the trumpet backing tracksmiley - laugh

And it also goes to show that however good you are - everyone pulls funny faces when they are concentrating smiley - rofl

To all Music Lovers

Post 9

Hi my dear friend,

Hi my dear Kelli,
So glad you enjoyed the music. I thought that the percussionist from Somerset was something out of this world. Her playing of Prayer, by I think Evelyn Glennie, who, if I remember correctly is profoundly deaf was deeply spiritual. I must admit that I thought the men went overboard with their percussion "aides". but that last cymbal crashing to the floor and then spinning until it stopped and the sound ended was very dramatic.
where is Gateshead? I would love to go.

How are you keeping. ?You've surely had your first year anniversary have you not? I hope you are keeping well.

Affection as always
christiane smiley - schooloffish

To all Music Lovers

Post 10

Hi pheloxi,

Are the marimba and the dholl similar instruments? I also love African music, but I have not heard the group you mention. I shall have to keep an eye*or rather an ear!!( open for them.

with affection

Christiane smiley - schooloffish

To all Music Lovers

Post 11

PS
These young musicians are so talented. It is awe inspiring.

Tonight on BBC4 I think it is brass and strings. I love the French horn and I think that there is one playing.

AR1smiley - schooloffish

To all Music Lovers

Post 12

marimba is an African drum
dhol is an Indian drum

Johny Kelsi the founder of the dhol foundation in the UK and regular contributor with the Afro Celt sound system gives lessons in dhol playing.

http://www.dholfoundation.com/

To all Music Lovers

Post 13

What a wonderful concert on Saturday.

I am so thrilled because the wonderful clarinettist, a gentle, loving most gifted, unassuming musician was awarded the Young British musician of 2006.

His performance was quite outstaninng, and if any of you are interested he will be playing again this evening. Sadly I did not catch the time but I think it is on BBC2 this time. But please check.

O think that his name was Mark Simpson but am not 100% sure.
What a wealth of musical talent there is in Britain. it is wonderful, and something of which to be very proud.

AR1 smiley - schooloffish

To all Music Lovers

Post 14

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Well, I missed it all, but it sounds to have been a very inspiring event. Thanks for telling us about it Christiane! smiley - love

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Key: Complain about this post