This is the Message Centre for Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

General Hello

Post 1

Fredward Headboard

by general I mean as in the sense not millitary leader.

Hi Amy,
Just stopped by to say hello as I was browsing your page I'm doing Zen messages today and will let them come to the point naturally and without force. This is unlikely to be either Zen or very sensible. But I don't know enough about either to prove myself wrong.

Oooh that sounded quite good I think I'll finish with that.

Cheerio

Freward Headboard

General Hello

Post 2

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

Oooh.. smiley - coolness.

smiley - zen

Thanks for the message, Fredward. smiley - smiley What's up on your side of the continent? (I see from your page you're in LA)

General Hello

Post 3

Fredward Headboard

Actually I'm on the side of a entirely different continent
(i apologise for my misleading page I had the Big Lebowski in my head when it was written I don't know if you've seen it if not then your probably pretty confused)
I'm in Ireland of all the places in the world and mostly it is raining. Stupid Irish summer supposed to be hot and what do we get rain lousy no good country. Anyway is Pennsylvania mountainous? It always makes me think of mountains but I think that could be a range somewhere completly elsewhere.
Geography is not my strong point. Why I brought it up I don't know.

Fredward

General Hello

Post 4

Oh, I see.... Too bad I did't get the reference... smiley - erm (as my BF would tell you, I've not seen most of the *best* movies...)

Anyway.

About half of Pennsylvania is mountainous... the Appalachians run through the western half of the state. My area's more on the side of rolling hills-- Amish farm country and all that. I go to uni in Southwestern Virginia, right in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Appalachians... I much prefer it. It's a lot prettier there. smiley - smiley

General Hello

Post 5

Fredward Headboard

Mmmm maybe I should take that reference out, it's pretty stupid anyway I feel another rewrite of my startpage maybe in order.

I new Pennsylvania was mountainous and I have to tell you I'm relieved it wasn't just my imagination. Are you Amish? I doubt Amish people use computers all that much but my knowledge of them is not very vast.

Rolling hills and mountains sounds like a pretty nice place to study no doubt your work benefits from inspiration, with the mountain air and scenic views.

General Hello

Post 6

smiley - laugh You have no idea how many times I've gotten asked that question by people who go to my uni... and the answer is not hardly. Amish don't use electricity unless necessary for their business; they don't drive and they dress rather plainly (I would be ousted from the church if I was Amish and wore what I'm wearing now-- and that's only jeans and a tshirt!). And they certainly wouldn't have ever heard of DNA or the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. smiley - winkeye

So no, no I'm not.

The mountains is a great place to study... but I find sometimes it's also distracting cause I'd rather go outside and wander around than actually do my work. Not that I've ever done that. smiley - angelsmiley - winkeye The morning mist over the valleys and the cloud formations we get are awe-inspiring, though. smiley - bigeyes

General Hello

Post 7

Fredward Headboard

So I take it you won't be joining an Amish church anytime soon?
I didn't think Amish used computers. The trouble is I don't think many people know very much about Amish people, I certainly don't.

I'm not entirely sure what DNA is myself but then I am generally not great with abbreviations of any kind. I like mountains, I'm not far from the mountains well the Wicklows are not so much mountains as big hills, but they make the place look a bit more interesting.

I find it only takes the very mildest of distractions to draw me from my college work if I had mountains I'd be in serious trouble. Thankfully my college is alongside a main road so if I went for a wander I'd get ranover, thus I stay inside content to stare out the window.

General Hello

Post 8

Nah... it's very hard to join the Amish church... I know of some people not born into it who did, but it's very difficult. Not something I'd really want to do anyway. And my bf would kill me (we think the Atlantic ocean's bad... no phones or email would be murder).

DNA is the shortform for Douglas Noel Adams-- the author of the h2g2 books, and the guy who sorta started this whole site about three years ago. He was actually online here up till his death a year an a half ago at U42.

I find in order to get my work done at school, especially if I'm in my room, I need to turn off my computer *and* unplug the ethernet feed... too tempting.

General Hello

Post 9

Fredward Headboard

No I don't think an joining the Amish church would be a positive step for any relationship unless you both joined, and could raise 20 children or so and trade in your phones and computers for sheep.

I thought DNA might be Douglas Adams it was the N that made me wonder. I kept getting it mixed up with SETI dispite the two being completly comprised of different letters.

I used to have trouble getting work done because I would stay at home in bed when I was meant to be in college. In fact if there was anything essential to my continuing education that happened in the morning last year I'm in serious trouble.

General Hello

Post 10

smiley - laugh -- to all of it...

I'm back at school now.. the parents just left so it's time to catch up on h2g2 backlog. smiley - winkeye And wonder when I'll catch up with my roommate (I keep on just missing her).

Ah well. I think my bank account's gonna have a heart attack.. I just spent $350 on books for the semester. smiley - yikes

General Hello

Post 11

While I'm thinking about it before I go to bed... (too hot to sleep yet)...

check out this page if you need help with any of the jargon here. smiley - smiley It can get a bit confusing... this is the best place to get up to speed.

A632431

General Hello

Post 12

Fredward Headboard

Thats a lot of money for books (I bought a grand total of one book last year, but it was pretty expensive) I'd just be stomping on the grave of my bank account if I spent that much.

Hope you found your roommate if not I usually find mine down the pub or even in college looking lost and out of place. Hope you've cooled down enough to get some sleep (my schoolboy side found this quite amusing)

I have had a look at the jargon page and now understand at least half of what it being said on h2g2 thanks! I'm pretty sure the other half is just completly uncomprehensible.

Fred

General Hello

Post 13

What I spent on books is about average for most students nowadays, at least in the US. Luckily, some of them we can sell back for a portion of what we payed for them so it's not quite so bad. (unfortunately, I don't think *any* of my books will be worth much by then... plus I always keep my English textbooks smiley - sadface)

I did finally catch up with my roommate - it's wonderful to have a great friend like her. (I'm also having to type very quietly in order to not wake her up as she, unlike me, doesn't have class till 10 this morning).

smiley - yawn *trudges off to Music Theory class*

General Hello

Post 14

Fredward Headboard

Well books are important luckily because I'm on an art course I don't need to buy many books although I have to spend a heap on materials and things.

How long have you been sharing with your roommate? I will have housemates this year but I don't think I could share with anyone (well platonically anyway) without being driven to madness. Luckily we all have our own rooms but there will be five of us in one house which might possibly be too many remains to be seen.

Music is your business then. I play the guitar and the banjo but still can't read music which I feel maybe a major drawback to me finding success as a famous rock banjoist. What other instruments do you play?

General Hello

Post 15

My roomie's an art student as well - and she does spend piles on supplies. So I know what that's like.

My roommate and I lived together last year - and we basically became best friends and decided we *had* to room together for the rest of our stint at this university. If only for the reason that anyone else would make us crazy. smiley - winkeye I think one of the reasons we don't drive each other mad is cause we tell each other when one does something annoying - like, she's messy. If it bothers me, I ask her to clean up. I get up earlier and usually play on the computer before classes; if she can't sleep, I get off. We also have a lot of the same tastes in music and literature and tv and so forth, which helps a lot, and have a similar outlook on life. She's like my sister. smiley - biggrin

I'm a musician, yes. Flute is my major instrument, and I play a little piano, and a smattering of guitar and pennywhistle. I'm also and English student - which is great to me. smiley - biggrin

General Hello

Post 16

Fredward Headboard

Yes us art students have the disadvantage of having to buy supplies but the advantage of not having to do much in the way of essays and generally as a good excuse for any strange behaviour.

Mmmm I have similar interests as my flatmate in that we are both quite lazy, like the same music and have a similar sense of humour but unfotunatly we are both quite messy. If someone moves in whose very tidy this could be good or create some kind of war. Still I guess I will see how it goes when I get back.

We were forced to learn Pennywhistle in Primary school what with it being a supposedly Irish instrument (if it can really be called an instrument) and it's ok when it's played well but when it's played badly it's one of the worst sounds in all of creation. Flutes got quite a nice sound though I used to play the Clarinet but I sold it for an electric guitar which I'm still not too sure was a good idea.
I might buy a sax one day though if I ever have any spare money lying around, does your flatmate not use the computer at all?

General Hello

Post 17

As far as housemates/roommates go, it makes things much easier if you're all honest with each other to start out with. My roommate and I get on great cause we're like that, but last year, we and our suitemates (we share a bathroom) got along horribly cause neither suite told the other what annoyed them. smiley - erm

My roomie does use a computer - but this year she has her own, so she doesn't need mine for email checking and online assignments. smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post