This is the Message Centre for Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Jordan - No, not that Jordan!

Post 1

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Just got back from visiting Jordan tonight
Beautiful and fascinating country
Relatively liberal for a Muslim state but honour killings still largest cause of murder. I think there seems to be a big difference between the situation of women in Amman (and possibly other larger towns) and those in more rural areas or amongst the Bedouin. Not surprising really
Has taken in almost a million Iraqi refugees since the present conflict began. For a state that already has 65% Palestinian population (and the only Arab state to give them citizenship but thats maybe because until fairly recently Jordan claimed the West Bank as part of its teritory)
Monarchists should use the Jordanian royal family as evidence for their case more often. Seem a genuinely benign force

Post 2

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Wow, I am envious! I am glad you were impressed... Wonderful!

Vicky (for artist formerly known as Della)

smiley - smiley

Post 3

Snailrind

Glad you had such a great time there, B'cat. smiley - smiley I would love to visit Petra.

Regarding the royal family, they do have their foibles, according to a couple of my Jordanian mates who thought it was wonderful that we could refer to our lot as Big-ears and Horse-face... Apparently, everyone is obliged to have a picture of the king on the wall of their workplace; the picture cards on playing cards aren't to be called 'King' and 'Queen' because of the way they're used; and people get into serious trouble if they say anything remotely insulting about the royals. For instance (they told me), a shoemaker put an advert in the papers, saying he made shoes fit for a king, and he put a picture of the king alongside a pic of a pair of shoes. Shoes being an insulting symbol over there, he was thrown in jail.

smiley - footprints

Post 4

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

They do seem to have a bit of cult of personality going
You're right about pictures of their Royals, they were everywhere, and the guide was constantly telling us about all the good things they've done for the country and how much they're loved etc

Post 5

Snailrind

I get the impression you saw quite a lot of the country. Were you travelling around?

Post 6

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

'That rose-red city, half as old as time.'

Yes, Jordan's on my wish list...only slightly behind Morocco and Syria. I'll just have to content myself with being in Sweden at this particular moment.

The old King, Hussein, once offered a friend's uncle a lift. The uncle ws to go ahead in a separate car. He got a motorcade and everything. It was only afterwards that he twigged that they shared a certain facial similarity: he was the decoy.

Post 7

Then there's Frank Muir's description of a North London suburb:

"That rose red city half as gold as green".

Post 8

Snailrind

smiley - laugh

Post 9

Stayed in Amman, Wadi Musa (just outside Petra) and Aquaba (the Jordanian Blackpool) so got to see a fair bit but there was loads we didn't get to see like Herod the Great's palace or the chain of castles built for the Caliphs for hunting but now in the middle of desert.

I'd like to see Lebenon and Syria as well but the country in the region I'd like to visit most is Iran but I can't see that happening soon.

Post 10

Iran's on my list, too. It's meant to be amazing. Rageh Omar certainly thought so.

Oddly enough, I was saying the same to someone last night.

Post 11

Snailrind

I wanted to visit Iraq, but fat chance of that now.

Post 12

Dunno. I know an organisation that's recruiting. I've seen their adds on the telly.

Post 13

Snailrind

Good point. If they'll take me, which I doubt. I could always send my CV to a suitable ayatollah instead: it's good to see the world. And beyond.

Key: Complain about this post