This is the Message Centre for Thasc

Sub-Ed calling

Post 1

Wildman - I'm not really mad, I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years!

Hi there. I'm the Sub-Editor for your entry 'Roger Delgado (actor)' and the copy that I'll be working on is at A2430181

As this is your first entry, perhaps it might be best if I explain what's going to happen. The way I like to work (not necessarily the way anyone else might do itsmiley - laugh), is to have a first quick run through - changing the plain text to GML and altering anything which leaps out at mesmiley - monster. I then contact the Author - this is it - so that they can complain about how I've messed with their brainchild.
Next I usually leave it for a little while (waiting for complaintssmiley - winkeye) and come back with a fresh mind to see if there is anything I missed before.

I will be back in touch before I send it back as finished to make sure that you are OK with whatever I do to it.

Don't be afraid to complain if there's anything you disagree with! I don't bite (unless requestedsmiley - laugh).

Wildmansmiley - headhurts

Sub-Ed calling

Post 2

Thasc

Thanks everything reads fine

I am really pleased with what you have done so far

Alice smiley - smiley

Sub-Ed calling

Post 3

Thasc

Sorry I don't mean to be a pest

But I have just noticed a mistake. I know I have mentioned this in the reply forum to the actual article but I am unsure where to actually post this so apologies for the duplication.

The film Roger was going to make in Turkey was actually called The Bell of Tibet not Bell Tibet.

Again apologies for the duplicate message

Alice smiley - smiley

Sub-Ed calling

Post 4

Don't apologise! That's just the kind of thing I wantsmiley - winkeye.

If anyone should be apologising it's mesmiley - smiley, I had meant to ask you a couple of things arising from that thread (although I'd missed the bit about the film title).

You say
'producers and directors thought that he was a permanent member of the Doctor Who cast so he asked to leave'
- but Jim quotes Roger's wife as saying
'Roger absolutely loved playing 'the most evil man ever created', as he put it, and was not a little upset when the producers decided to write him out, six months before he was killed in Turkey.'
How do you feel about this?

I must say I like the quote about "..the nastiest Arab of the lot ...." and I've put it in as a intro but I'll take it out if you prefer.

Jim said
'The references to 'The Chindits' and 'with Wingate in Burma' if you can't find footnotes to explain these, I'd suggest ditching them. I'm afraid I have no idea what they refer to.'
Well I have heard about Ord Wingate and the Chindits so if you could let me know what you had originally, perhaps we could work out a footnotesmiley - winkeye.

Wsmiley - headhurts

Sub-Ed calling

Post 5

Thasc

I liked Kismet's quote but I'm not really keen on reproducing what people have said word for word if it can be avoided.

I'll definitely go along with what you have put in the intro I think that's a good way to start the article off.

I don't have much on the Chindits I am afraid. I know they were formed from quite a few regiments, one of these regiments was The Royal Leicester Regiment which Roger joined at the beginning of the war. I do think it is worth mentioning perhaps as you say a reference in a footnote would be a good idea.

Thanks

Alice smiley - smiley

Sub-Ed calling

Post 6

When I asked about the quote from Kismet, what I meant was that she said that Roger was to be written out against his wishes - whereas your line in the entry implies that Roger had asked to leave the series. I wondered if you knew for sure which was the case?

Do you know for certain that Roger served with the Chindits in Burma? If so then I certainly think it's worth a mention.smiley - ok

Wsmiley - headhurts
ps I'd also like to add a subheader before the final paragraph, to seperate the sad details of his death from the section about The Master - OK?

Sub-Ed calling

Post 7

Thasc

Roger actually asked to leave the series because he wasn't getting offered any other work sorry about the confusion there. Maybe Kismet was misquoted.

Roger definitely served with the Chindits I remember reading that somewhere.

I have no probs with the sub heading before the final paragraph smiley - smiley

Sub-Ed calling

Post 8

I decided that it might be better just to mention the Chindits in the main text with a link for further reference. And I thought that a footnote explaining Cockneys and Bow bells might help for furrinerssmiley - laugh.

If you're OK with it as it stands, I think that it's about done now.

Wsmiley - headhurts

Sub-Ed calling

Post 9

Just as soon as I posted my last message, I had a thought that might explain the apparent conflict with Kismet's quote! It seems possible to me that what may have happened is that Roger asked to leave the series - but with the possibility of reappearing at some later time (once he wasn't thought to be a PERMANENT cast member). This would explain why he's quoted as being so upset at the Master being killed off for good!

Just a theorysmiley - ok

Wsmiley - headhurts

Sub-Ed calling

Post 10

Thasc

I have just read it through again and everything is fine with me

Thanks

Alice smiley - smiley

Sub-Ed calling

Post 11

Thasc

You could be right smiley - smiley

Sub-Ed calling

Post 12

Right then, I'll send it back to the Editors - they'll give it a final check to make sure I haven't introduced too many mistakes and then it takes its place in the waiting list for the front page. You can keep track of how it's doing at http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/comingup but smiley - dontpanic, you'll receive an e-mail when it does reach the front page.

Wsmiley - headhurts

Sub-Ed calling

Post 13

Thasc

Thanks very much for all your help

I shall look forward to seeing it on the front page

Alice smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post