This is the Message Centre for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Etiquette advice,please!

Post 1

Gwenhwyfar

When in doubt ask a pedant! How does this friends stuff work? Is it done to claim anyone as a friend without asking? Or are people just adding all familiar names? This place has made me nervous and I'm anxious not to offend. I'm just the same in real life. Snigger. Gwen

Etiquette advice,please!

Post 2

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Hey, Gwen! I just finished posting this explaination elsewhere...

Basically, you are free to add as many or few people to your "Friends list" without asking them. Everybody you list becomes "monitored" on your behalf, and whenever they post on-site you're informed, with a link to the post being added to the "My Conversations" list on your Personal Space.

It's handy to be able to spot when an irregular visitor has popped in to the site, but if the person becomes so prolific a poster that the list of their contributions pushes all your conversations off your own conversation list, they you can freely remove them.

As I say, you don't need to ask permission to add / remove people but some folk like to ask anyway, out of a sense of politeness; it isn't considered impolite not to ask, though. Hope that helps... smiley - erm

Etiquette advice,please!

Post 3

Gwenhwyfar

Thanks for that! I have now boldly added your name to my list. Gwen

Etiquette advice,please!

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Ooooh, you're gonna regret that... smiley - laugh

I post a lot of nonesense in some very obscure places, and now you'll be informed every time I do. smiley - evilgrin

Etiquette advice,please!

Post 5

petal jam

thanks for asking this question. By some miracle I found it before asking the same thing..

pj.

ps how DOES one add to ones friends list? (and how does indicate the emphasis of one's sentence without cyber shouting?_

Etiquette advice,please!

Post 6

Hiya, pj.

To add someone as a friend, go to their Personal Space and click on "Add to friends". (In pale blue on white, at the top-right of the screen if you use the default Brunel skin)

Sadly, text emphasis doesn't work in h2g2 threads, but as I posted elsewhere we've been promised that it'll be added to Mustardland soon after the changeover. Just now, we tend to emphasize with smileys. smiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boing

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more