This is the Message Centre for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Late posting.

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I feel like crap at the moment. smiley - ill

I had an early start yesterday, but I was coughing my lungs up all day. I was planning to drag myself across in a taxi late afternoon to see Mother, but (thankfully) I got a 'phone call from my Sister saying they were in the process of moving her to Chalmers hospital in Banff. smiley - seniorsmiley - run

I say "thankfully" because I suspect if I had passed on what's ailing me it *would* have killed her. smiley - skull

Dennis came round for a chat, but I wasn't much of a host, mostly just shivering in the corner. smiley - brr

And i barely slept last night becausa of constant coughing fits, coughing to the point i felt sick. smiley - ill I'll try to find a duty doctor at dialysis today... smiley - illsmiley - doctor

I watched "Scott and Bailey" and a couple of rpisodes of "Hot in Cleveland". smiley - cdouble

Late posting.

Post 2

woofti aka groovy gravy

Peet, I have report that Linux Mint 17 ("Qiana") is really cool. I've tweaked it to how I like it. Wifi, printer, everything worked out of the box. I downloaded the 64 bit MATE version.

I've got this Lucid PC in the Study which needs upgrading, but it's a custom built job and I'm not sure how to configure it once the OS is reinstalled because it's got a separate physical hard drive for data and an SSD for the OS. I might get them to replace the smaller OS SSD and just plug in an external drive for data.

Lucid is still the most elegant OS I've ever used, but this HP Spectre XT is the best machine I've ever used.

Late posting.

Post 3

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

When you're configuring it, do manual partitioning. Put the /swap and / partitions on the SSD, but put the /home partition on the hard drive and *don't* format it. smiley - geek

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more