This is the Message Centre for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Indy!

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

After describing all the Indiana Jones movies to Woofti I discovered that "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was on tonight! I missed a few chunks near the beginning because my TalkTalk box was overheating, but once I skipped forward 20 minutes I was able to get it playing stably long enough for the other PVR to become available and let me watch and pause it there. It's currently paused about half an hour from the end while I heat up a bacon roll and cool down some fake "Doctor Pepper". smiley - chefsmiley - cdouble

After it's done, I'll watch tonight's "Chicago PD" before I crash. smiley - online2longsmiley - sleepysmiley - zzz

I'm almost finished packing for going to hospital tomorrow. Just my tablet to put in, as soonm as I've finished downloading tomorrow's TV. smiley - pirate

Other than that there's not a lot to report. I got a load of Chinese stuff through the post, including a couple of keyring bottle openers, a "Space Blanket" and five micro-USB data cables. smiley - geek

If I don't post for a few days, you know where I am... smiley - runsmiley - nurse

Indy!

Post 2

woofti aka groovy gravy

All the best Peet!

"Boring conversation anyway" - that's possibly the best scene in the movie.

A tremor in the Force... don't underestimate the Force. You my friend are all that's left of their religion...

The Force is with him.

smiley - tea

Indy!

Post 3

woofti aka groovy gravy

Question Time: How do servers work?

For example, I put up a video on YouTube. 1 person opens it, then, five seconds later, another person opens it, then, ten seconds later, another person opens it. So you've got three people watching the same file starting at different times. How does this work? Because you can't have three styli on the same hard drive. You can't have a separate copy of the file for each person who watches it. Surely there's only one copy of my YouTube file on the servers in a bunker deep under the Nevada desert. So how does all that work?

Would be very interested to find out. Leave it until after you get home to answer, if there isn't time today.

Thanks man.

Indy!

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

The server requests each "packet" of the file from the drive array as each browser asks for it. If it's a popular file, it'll be partly or completely stored in cache memory by the time the third or fourth person asks to see it, so there won't be any excessive movement of the drive heads. smiley - geek

Indy!

Post 5

woofti aka groovy gravy

smiley - ta

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more