This is the Message Centre for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Just tired.

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I didn't post last night because I was tired and had to have an early night to be out of the house before ten this morning. smiley - sleepy

Dialysis went much better yesterday, but the bus run home was... strange. The woman driving the bus wasn't a regular driver, but rather the wman in charge of the service standing in for holiday cover. She had an odd idea about randomising the order people got home in so that the same people didn't always get home first. This left an old dear called Margaret looking a bit shell-shocked as she was taken on a grand tour of Aberdeen - she literally lives across the street from the hospital, and every other driver drops her off before even figuring out the route for everybody else. I was the fifth to be dropped off, and she was still in the bus... smiley - bussmiley - facepalm

And the problem with "randomising" the order was that after the first three, thanks to the amount of "doubling back" everybody else was getting home later than if thay had just beed dropped off in the usual sequence. smiley - doh

I watched "Covert Affairs" and "Hot in Cleveland" in the ward, and "Safety Not Guaranteed" and "Andromeda" when I got home. smiley - cdouble

Just tired.

Post 2

woofti aka groovy gravy

Poor Margaret...

Trust you are OK.

I tried to get Gnome 3 for Mint on my netbook but when I did the first command I was told the software was buggy and not ready for general release. I don't do Beta software, I don't want to wrestle with bugs and so on, so I didn't do it. Do you know if there is a "finished" way of getting Gnome 3 for Mint? (You can answer in TVH if you want.)

Just tired.

Post 3

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

As Mint runs MATE, you already have Gnome3 installed. MATE is just a Gnome2 lookalike front-end for Gnome3. smiley - elf

I don't have a Mint installation to hand, but I suspect you need to go to "Users" and tell it not to log you on automatically, then do a restart. At the Login prompt there will be a "drop-down" of all the "Session types" available to you, and a "Generic" Gnome3 should be one of the options. Once you're logged back in, if you like it, just turn the autologin back on and that's what you'll always see. smiley - geek

Just tired.

Post 4

woofti aka groovy gravy

Oh right, OK, I've never looked at what options you get for logging in. I'll check that out, thanks.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more