This is the Message Centre for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Progress!

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I had a visit from George earlier in the day. smiley - cool I swapped an internet radio for a memory-stick's worth of TV and movies - that'll give me something to watch in the ward next week. smiley - pirate

I finally settled on the latest Ubuntu for my new laptop. Apart from anything else, I had some nifty Ubuntu stickers that exactly cover all the Windows logos that Sony saw fit to plaster around it! smiley - artist

Plus it comes with "Jockey", the package that downloads and installs Windows drivers for your network devices if needed. The version in Zorin didn't have a driver recent enough available, and I discovered that Ubuntu had taken over the project in late 2011. smiley - geek

On top of all that, I managed to figure out how to get rid of the dreadful "Unity" front-end and get back to something that looks like Gnome2. smiley - elf Annoyingly, it won't let me run a "desktop cube" yet - I think I have the wrong drivers for the Intel 4000 graphics accellerator installed at the moment. smiley - doh

My next plan tomorrow is to get it running as a Hackintosh without removing Ubuntu. smiley - apple I just finished installing the free VMware "Player"... smiley - evilgrin

My mind is racing, but I suspect that's just too much smiley - coffee...

I haven't watched any TV (again) today. smiley - smiley

Although I'm wide awake, I've done all I can for tonight. I have a huge VMware image to download, so I just drank a can of smiley - cider and I hope that helps me sleep... smiley - drunksmiley - zzz

Progress!

Post 2

woofti aka groovy gravy

OK, so Zorin out, Ubuntu in. I decided I prefer Mint to Ubuntu, although I can't get my webcam working properly on the telly machine without Ubuntu. It doesn't seem to work with Mint. Annoying. I only use the telly PC for ... telly ... online televisioun, and YouTube. A few weeks ago we had a bit of a party here with Mimi Akhona and Richard. Mimi had my Sennheiser wireless headphones on, and was grooving to music on YouTube, while Richard, Akhona and I.

All the telly PC needs is a browser. It basically needs an ultra-light OS because all I use it for is television. At the moment -- I'm not sure, either Mint or Zorin, probably Zorin.

One of my machines runs Lucid and it keeps coming up with OS updates, which is surprising as I thought they weren't looking after Lucid any more.

Anyway I'm in a betweenzone timetune zone at the moment, while Mamacos gets my wallpaper and curtains and is preparing to come and install them.

smiley - porkpie

Progress!

Post 3

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

A tip - I found out how to get rid of "Unity". It's actually rather easy... smiley - blush

You install whatever type of desktop "session" you want, e.g. "Gnome Classic", *then* you go to your user account and turn *off* auto-login. smiley - yikes

Reboot, and before you log in manually, click the little logo at the top-right above your name. It gives a drop-down list of the "session types" available. Pick the one you want, type in your password and log in. Once you're in the desktop you like, re-enable auto-login and you'll always boot up to that. smiley - geek

Simples. smiley - laugh

Progress!

Post 4

woofti aka groovy gravy

OK, I'll bear that in mind if I ever go back to Ubuntu, which is admittedly unlikely.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more