This is the Message Centre for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Another bummer of a day.

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I entered into email "discussions" with the PTB over my posting that got pulled yesterday. They described it as "ranting"; it was exactly 18 words long, split into two sentences. They also characterised it as "Abuse of staff". Well, if demanding a proper apology for a monumental cock-up is considered "abuse", then they might be right on that count. But, I was careful not to phrase it against any individual.

By the published guidelines over at <./>DontPanic-Moderation#4</.> the Moderator had only one recourse, which was to edit it to add an extra asterisk to form the word s**t. (My original version only had the third letter asterisked out; my bad.) They had no reason to "refer it upwards". As a matter of principle I will continue to follow this up until the guidelines are revised or the post is reenstated. smiley - cross

Other than that, it's been a pretty s****y day. smiley - blue

I paid a visit to my pal Mike the Upholsterer; he had been complaining about a bit of a cold just over a week ago, then suddenly his shop was closed for a week with a "closed due to illness" sign. I asked what had happened; it turns out the cold had little to do with it - he was laid out by food poisoning contracted from a pie he bought for lunch from the local "Chalmers" franchise. smiley - yikessmiley - ill He had all the usual symptoms of vomiting and running to the toilet ( smiley - yuk ) during the day, then somehow he managed to drive himself home (something like 12 miles) before collapsing face-down on his sitting room floor, where his wife found him unconscious some minutes later. He was rushed to hospital, and spent three-and-a-half days there recuperating. smiley - yikessmiley - cheerup Kind of puts my little foot operation into perspective... smiley - erm

I got home later, and had a 'phone call from my *other* friend Mike, who had somehow managed to stop his computer booting into Windows 98. I gave him prolonged "telephone assistance", eventually tracking the problem down to a badly corrupted Autoexec.bat file, and fixing it. smiley - geek

I also spoke to Bob at length on the 'phone; he's made a lot more progress on Chris's web sites than I have, and he'll spend Saturday round here sharing all the info he's gathered. smiley - grovelsmiley - geek

I'm off for an early night, to read some more Stephen Donaldson... smiley - run

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more