This is the Message Centre for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Nothing works.

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

My PVR was still dead when I tried to power it up this morning, so I boxed it up and filled out the RMA form at 24/7 Electronics.

I set about finishing off the PC for the COGS office. I got everything looking perfect, powered it up, and... nothing. smiley - wah I assumed the video card was the most likely culprit, as it was the only one I had in the house, and I had no idea where it originally came from. I got in touch with Andy, who is temporarily without transport, and arranged to borrow one from him for testing purposes.

In the middle of all that (5pm, to be precise) I got a response email from 24/7 saying that they only supported the manufacturer's *1 year* warranty (my emphasis - Humax gives a *2* year warranty) and I should make my own arrangements for getting it fixed. smiley - grrsmiley - steam At the very least that would involve me paying for transport of the PVR to Germany, while 24/7 would have uplifted it. smiley - cross

Anyhow, I dragged myself round to Andy's, stopping about six times on the way for a sit-down on various rain-soaked walls. I got two video cards from him and dragged myself home in time to watch "The Simpsons". Afterwards, I fitted the first card. No response. I went to fit the second card, and found it was neither AGP nor PCI! The connector is about PCI size, but in the wrong place, and with the "divider" gap at the wrong end. I've never seen anything like it. smiley - headhurts So, I'm still not absolutely sure what's not working; I just know *something* is dead. smiley - skull

It's now late. I'm knackered, from the combination of the long walk and repeatedly having to clamber down to floor level to work on the computer, then standing up again to see the screens. I haven't made progress on any of Chris's sites; nor have I read any of "The Runes of the Earth". smiley - blue Pretty much a wasted day. smiley - sadface

Nothing works.

Post 2

woofti aka groovy gravy

I'm sorry you had such a shitty day, Peet. Hope tomorrow brings more joy!

Richard

Nothing works.

Post 3

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Actually, it wasn't all that shitty, despite the tone of that posting... I had a really nice egg'n'cheese sandwich for lunch, for instance... smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more