This is the Message Centre for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Gosford Park

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I just finished watching "Gosford Park". It's a murder mystery where nobody really cares about the murder. Recommended. smiley - ok

I finally caught up on the web development I started yesterday. Over three different sites I've added images, set up (with Bob's help) a new search subsystem and added a heap of dynamically generated Amazon links. smiley - geeksmiley - ok

Doctor Who was good, but it could have been a little, well, snappier. The first third was a Brian Rix farce in all but name. smiley - erm

All in all, I feel good about today. Tomorrow, I go shopping... smiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - run

Gosford Park

Post 2

martine_s

Gosford PArk is sheer delight from beginning to end. But then Altman is a genius.

Gosford Park

Post 3

YOB-von-Trapp

I liked Gosford Park (I watched it a couple of years ago), as all the cast were wonderful, but at times you almost wondered whether it suffered from having too much going on and too many big names vying for the limelight- some of them were really good and played an important role (Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren, Stephen Fry, Kristen Scott-Thomas, Michael Gambon, Sophie Thompson etc.) but others seemed to be awaste of money as they were there for so little of it, Richard E grant being a case in point. I think as a film it would have been better if he wasn't trying to direct so many big names and give them all plenty of attention, but still, it made it all the more enjoyable to watch!

stephen

Gosford Park

Post 4

Katy Tulip

One for my DVD/Video rental list....

smiley - winkeye Katy smiley - rose

Gosford Park

Post 5

sue_green

This is characteristic of Altman films, YOB. But still they work. Altman always works on a giant canvas. One of my favourite of his films - Nashville - had a (limited) re-release a few months back, but hasn't made it to Aberdeen, yet, at least. I always break down in tears at the end, when the waitress sings sings to the vast crowd (I'm avoiding spoilers here, in case you, or anyone, everdecides to track the film down).

Altman is quoted as saying that he only worked out Ashford's hook - i.e., the THING about the child - very late in the day. He must therefore be very improvisational in his approach, shooting miles of film and changing the script as he goes. The Ashford script was written by someone who is now turning up on the chat etc. circuit having written a bestseller called Snobs or something similar.

Douglas

Gosford Park

Post 6

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Ashford?

Gosford Park

Post 7

Douglas, does this jog any memories?

http://drwhotht03.150m.com/3u/images/d3-3u-086.jpg

Gosford Park

Post 8

DruglessBrain

Gosford.

Douglas

Gosford Park

Post 9

sue_green

Peet, here's a problem with that link.

Sue

Gosford Park

Post 10

Oops, sorry. Here's the original page; my apologies for the pop-ups. smiley - blush

http://drwhotht03.150m.com/3u/d3-3u-086.htm

Gosford Park

Post 11

martine_s

Nashville, Douglas, you and me both. One of the most thrilling experiences of my life.

Key: Complain about this post