This is the Message Centre for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Up and down

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

It's been an odd sort of day. I had planned to do some COGS stuff, then have a 6pm-ish meeting with Chris from AOP.

I got mired down in a bit of web design, and noticed that I was sneezing a lot. By about 2pm I wasn't feeling too good. By 3pm I was covered in a cold sweat and shivering. My first thought was hypoglycaemia, but I realised it couldn't be that, primarily because I *had* thought it, and that degree of hypo would have turned my brain to jelly. The other reason it couldn't be a hypo was that the moment I started to feel like that I drank a half pint of sugary orange drink, and it had absolutely no effect on the symptoms. smiley - illsmiley - brr

I climbed under the duvet at about 3:25, and lay there till about 5pm; the shivering settled down in about half an hour, but I just didn't have the energy to get up.

After 5pm, I got up, took an insulin shot, ate a garlic bread and generally felt great. smiley - ermsmiley - smiley

I phoned Chris and delayed our meeting till after 7:30, just in case. Just before 8pm he arrived with Bob in tow, and we set about doing things to the website, and planning future projects. I recorded ER...

Just after midnight everybody dispersed home. I had a big salad and some crisps while watching ER, and I feel a lot better now than I did this morning. I don't know what the problem was; I'm speculating some sort of "24 hour bug". smiley - doctor

Up and down

Post 2

Katy Tulip

Hope you feel a lot better soon, Peet...

smiley - hug Katy smiley - rose

Up and down

Post 3

woofti aka groovy gravy

yeah, seconded... look after yourself, Peet!

Richard

Up and down

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Hey, Guys, thanks. smiley - blush

When I went to bed last night, after posting that, I figured out what it was. Caffeine poisoning. smiley - blush About midday I had a pint of strong smiley - coffee on an empty stomach, planning to eat something too, but I was busy and had the smiley - oj instead. I should have recognised the symptoms. smiley - blushsmiley - blush

Up and down

Post 5

Katy Tulip

smiley - rose !!!

[fast learner]

Up and down

Post 6

smiley - biggrin

Up and down

Post 7

martine_s

Gosh, one's sniffles pale by comparison. Do you know you have a way of describing your symptoms that is as riveting as Updike's himself. Do you have to regulate strictly the amount of caffeine you ingest?

Up and down

Post 8

woofti aka groovy gravy

Hi Peet

Loved the story about the computer fair salesman "Every hard drive is removable"!

cheers

Richard

Up and down

Post 9

No, not really. It was a combination of a couple of days with no caffeine followed by a huge intake that caused the reaction. The irritating thing is that if I'd realised it at the time a plate of stodgy comfort food and a brisk walk round the block would have settled me down within minutes; it's just that the symptoms mimicked those of hypoglycaemia which is more usually cured by a swift sugary drink and a bit of a lie-down. smiley - doctor

Key: Complain about this post