This is the Message Centre for cate acer

las vegas

Post 1

cate acer

having just returned from a whirlwind week in las vegas, style and stylistic sense are heavy on my head.

driving up the las vegas strip, a visitor is glitzed half stupid, sparkled half to death. nonetheless, the glamour and excitement of las vegas can be a bit lost on someone like me--someone whose favorite bars are ill-lit and usually a bit dirty. i like my hotels cheap, my drinks strong, and my glitz...well, a little dusty.

like the algiers. the algiers hotel is one of the oldest on the strip--and one of the smallest. two stories, tops, it crouches at the feet of it's surrounding mega-hotels--circus circus, right across the street, seems in danger of kicking it into the desert. but on the inside, the algiers is a last remnant of old las vegas--dimly lit, with semi-circular booths and tiles on the ceiling that are almost certainly asbestos. it's beautiful and old and dingy and seems to get no respect in the vegas that has sprung up around it--full of children and cheap-looking-but-expensive meals.

i'll have to finish this later.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for cate acer

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more