This is the Message Centre for Len (Snowie) Baynes

Commandos in Singapore

Post 1

John de Mansfield AbsolonResearcher 238443

Len.
I was very interested in your story particularly as I knew several ex Japanese POWs. One of whom I believe was possibly in your unit. I can't remember his name but I do remember his story which touches on yours. I met him some 30 to 40 years ago. Apparently he was in a commando in Malaya possibly with the rank of Sergeant. He was badly wounded just before the fall of Singapore and had a leg amputated. He was in the upstairs part of a hospital in Singapore when the Japanese "dealt with" the ground floor not realising there was an upstairs. He was evacuated to Changi and as the Japs did not realise he only had one leg they packed medicines etc. on his stretcher. Apparently he remained in Changi for most of the war not being able to go out on working parties with only one leg. He maintained that that saved his life . He had and implacable hatred of the Japanese and refused to have anything to do with them even to the extent of nearly losing his job. That was briefly his story and he obviously parted from the rest of the unit at that stage. I thought this might interest you.
Regards,
John Absolon .

Commandos in Singapore

Post 2

Len (Snowie) Baynes

Dear John
This is the first I have heard of an Allied commando being present in the Malayan campain. He was probably like me, pulled out of his commando to be re-attached to his regiment to go overseas. There were no circumstances where a commando could be used, in my opinion, as there were no fixed bases once the Japanese attacked.
Yours Len

Commandos in Singapore

Post 3

Len (Snowie) Baynes

Sorry John, I see I spelled 'campaign' wrongly; that's what 85 years of hard wear does to the brain.
Len

Commandos in Singapore

Post 4

John de Mansfield AbsolonResearcher 238443

Dear Len,
Thank you for your post. As you say he was probably ex-commando. As I said in was 30 to 40 years ago and then only in conversation so that I may well have got it wrong. I thought it might well interest you or ring some forgotten bell as it seemed like it might have been same time, same area, same place. Spelling can be a "pain" at times.
Regards.
John Absolon

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Len (Snowie) Baynes

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more