This is the Message Centre for DruglessBrain

Yeugh

Post 1

DruglessBrain

I am updating a chapter in a fairly-standard reference book pursuiant to the publication of a new edition in the Autumn.

I am at the late-stage double-checking stage.

I have just run up against the following text - "...thereby facilitating a 'coherent' approach to the..."

The context is "BLAH BLAH BLAH CHANGES IN THE LAW thereby facilitating a 'coherent' approach to the PROBLEM ISSUE BLAH BLAH BLAH".

In fact, the words are mine. I wrote them in 2007 and they made it into the edition. I now think they should have been binned, because they are so so so Blairspeak. Also, what possessed me to put coherent between inverted commas?

Anyhow, reasonable suggestions for jargon-free non-Blairyspeak rewordings will be considered.

Drugless

Yeugh

Post 2

PJs OH

Dunno. Why is coherent in ''? I think even 4 years ago you were wary of appearing to be a big ponce. Or do the '' make it worse?

I would change 'facilitating' to making. If you really want Nu-Labor-speak then 'coherent' should be 'joined-up'. Also the BLAHs don't make sense (very like Blair-speak?). I would drop them and put in some legal bo**ox instead.

Best wishes to Susan and hope her hip is still improving.

A friend of my parents' had a hip replacement a few years ago (after a cycling accident in the snow). When the nurse came to sign him off she had a list of standard questions:
- can you drive
- can you do your own laundry
- can you make your own meals
His wife commented that he had never been able to do any of those things before the op.

PJ's OH (after a few glasses)

Yeugh

Post 3

DruglessBrain

"- can you drive
- can you do your own laundry
- can you make your own meals
His wife commented that he had never been able to do any of those things before the op."

I've worked out that the nearest I have come to actually preparing food, in my last five weeks at home, is opening a tin of grapefruit.

I was out of the house for twelve hours today.

Douglas has just gone to bed with a whisky after wine in town and a beer.

A riled cat has prevented me posting this message for the last four and a half minutes.

Sleep well

Sue

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for DruglessBrain

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more