This is the Message Centre for Agent Fang

Phoning in sick

Post 1

Agent Fang

(8.45 - 15 minutes to go)

I'm genuinely sick today, but I just hate the ritual of ringing up and telling work. Guilt shouldn't be a factor (not this time, anyhoo!), but it is.

Why?

Perhaps it's the personal contact thing. Speaking to another human being who, by their very act of picking up the phone, puts them in a position where they know they're going to be slogging it out in the office whilst you slob around on the sofa watching daytime TV. Bummer.

Perhaps its the feeling you have to 'sound' sick to be believed? Or disclose nasty details that will 'qualify' you to a sick day?

(8.54 - 6 minutes to go)

Today, I don't have those details. I have this odd medical condition (dystonia) that no-one else at work has, it doesn't make me 'sound' sick, and I could spill some details about it, but no-one could relate to them if I did. And to make it worse, I'm on holiday from tomorrow for 2 weeks, so it is SOOOO going to look like I am a total p-taker.

(8.57! Oh my GAWD!)

Catching the answer machine before 9 is the coward's way out. But, perhaps if I'm punctual and ring in at 9 on the nose, it won't be MY fault if they don't pick it up.

Excuse - I was diligent and rang in at 9, but no-one was there. I tried. Sorry.

(9.00... here goes... gonna do it NOW)

Bye!

Key: Complain about this post

Phoning in sick

More Conversations for Agent Fang

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more