A Conversation for The Forum

Social Darwinism

Post 1

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

That's what leapt out at me when I read about this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7082795.stm

<>

Would Darwinists here care to comment?

VL

Social Darwinism

Post 2

Dogster

What should we say - this clearly proves that Darwin was wrong?

Social Darwinism

Post 3

BouncyBitInTheMiddle

<>

Would Darwinists here care to comment?>>

He was an idiot.

Smells a lot of the whole ubermencsh thing. I think Nietzsche would be rolling around in his grave if he knew what sort of people had taken up his ideas.

Social Darwinism

Post 4

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Those most attracted to applying fascism/"Social Darwinism" are the inadequate.

... and in history the Catholic church.

Social Darwinism

Post 5

<>

An unsurprising response, but very unhelpful... and untrye!

Vicky

Social Darwinism

Post 6

No. But Bouncy's posting was the most helpful... as he has pointed out that darwin would be horrified by the use to which his ideas have been put...

Vicky

Social Darwinism

Post 7

*Untrue, I meant, of course...

VL

Social Darwinism

Post 8

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

<<... and in history the Catholic church.>>

An unsurprising response, but very unhelpful... and untrye!>>

She's right you know... the Catholic Church, especially the historical one, wouldn't touch Darwinism with a ten foot statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary! smiley - tongueout

Social Darwinism

Post 9

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

What's untrue about it, Vicky?

Social Darwinism

Post 10

Alfredo

Two German biologists who fled the armed during the Hitler regime and survived for three years in de desert of Namibia (former colony of Germany) were relieved to conclude, that also from the biological point of view the Nazi-evolution would fail = over specialization in war = not enough to sustain normal life.

Social Darwinism

Post 11

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Former colony and site of some of the key thinkers of Nazi regimes first exploitation into genocide.

Social Darwinism

Post 12

Arnie Appleaide - Inspector General of the Defenders of Freedom

Am I "Darwinist" b/c I subscribe to the modern scientific theory of evolution?

Anyway, what do the actions of one lone nut job, and his attempted association with Darwin, have to do with the actual scientific theory of evolution? Nothing.

Why, that would be like if I associated the crazy statements of the OP with all Christians I know. Ludicrous!

Social Darwinism

Post 13

novosibirsk - as normal as I can be........

There is often a temptation to 'read' into the pronouncements of a 'fruit cake'something other than his own deranged thinking.

Novo

Social Darwinism

Post 14

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

What is a 'Darwinist'?

Social Darwinism

Post 15

toybox

Like a gravitationist, but with evolution rather than gravity.

Social Darwinism

Post 16

DaveBlackeye

<>

Yes. This has sod-all to do with Darwinism; the word has just been hijacked and used in the wrong context. Evolution works by preferentially selecting beneficial traits in a species over time - the personal opinions of one member of a species about other members of the same species is something entirely different.

It is more akin to individual members of a species competing over territory, whereby the youngest/strongest would be more likely to win. It has absolutely nothing to do with genetic fitness.

IMHO social darwinism is to real darwinism what scientology is to science.

Social Darwinism

Post 17

Alfster

Following the set religious persons reply when some nutter puports to be doing something in the name of their god to which the reply is usual: He wasn't a true Christian/Jew/Catholic/Muslim/Scientologist. A true would not do something like that.'

I give you the answer: He wasn't a true Darwinist. A true Darwinist would not do something like that.

Social Darwinism

Post 18

BouncyBitInTheMiddle

A true Darwinist might I suppose, I mean Darwinism (i.e. understanding and acceptance of the Theory of Evolution) doesn't have an awful lot to say on morality does it?

Hopefully, a True Darwinist (Tm) would not say such utterly ridiculous things to back it up though.

Social Darwinism

Post 19

Alfster

And considering a Darwinist has simply come to the conclusion that life evolves through the 'survival of the fittest' then actually 'doing something in the name of Darwinism' really does not make sense.

It's a bit like being a 'round-Earthist': one has come to the conclusion that the Earth is round..that's about as far as it goes...apart from telling the 'flat-earthists that they are morons and wrong.

Social Darwinism

Post 20

taliesin

Since he also took upon himself the name 'storm spirit', would any meteorologists or supernaturalists here care to comment?

Key: Complain about this post