This is the Message Centre for frenchbean

Okay, bring it on....

Post 1

frenchbean

So 2004 is here.

The change of year has been a real non-event. For the first time since my smiley - pirate's death, I didn't shrug off the previous year like a rain-sodden greatcoat, smiley - smiley so I think I'm really getting back on track.

I am wired into the weather, waiting for mid-February, when I can start sowing the first of the new season's veggie seeds. From now until then, I'll collect seed compost from the mole hills in the garden and from the garden centre smiley - whistle. I'll have bags of the stuff filling up the greenhouse soon smiley - biggrin.

Last year's compost heap is now a mound of lovely soil improver, which I need to spread on the veg beds in the next couple of months. That and more magic horse muck of course.

It'll be my last year in this garden and I intend to make the most of it. Producing vast quantities of sharable food is my intent! smiley - biggrin

The birds smiley - tit are forming a mob every morning at the feeders and it's quite a struggle to keep up with their appetites. Actually, they are over voracious in my opinion, so I'm limiting them to 2 feeders of black sunflower seeds per day smiley - yikes. They also have their usual endless supply of peanuts and a lovely mixture of seeds which the robins and pheasants are particularly keen on.

The highlight of the year so far smiley - smiley was being sent home from work this morning because the heating boiler had packed up over New Year. I had dragged myself out of bed, into the shower, into the car and into the office for 8 o'clock. Awfully reluctantly! So it was a real treat to bundle myself back home again... supposedly to work here smiley - whistle

Some sunshine would be nice....

Okay, bring it on....

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

The traditional Celtic New Year (1 November) and English New Year (25 March) were much more appropriate to people tuned into the seasons than the present 1 Jan. I consider New Year's Eve to be just a good excuse to drink lots of champagne (which I like). I do so much during the year that there is no sense of time running out for me, which I think is what new year is all about for many people.

Okay, bring it on....

Post 3

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Time running out - no - New Year doesn't bring that sense for me - it's more birthdays that do that!

Fb - you sound to be wonderfully on-song! I haven't a gardening bent, but I do admire those who have.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Okay, bring it on....

Post 4

frenchbean

Hello you 2 smiley - smiley

I didn't know the traditional NYs were November and March. November seems odd - was that the end of the harvests for the year I wonder? March I can understand - the beginning of the spring, new growth and all that.

March 25 seems a good time for a gardener to celebrate New Year properly I think. A good excuse for some more smiley - bubbly and smiley - redwine - as if I ever need an excuse.

smiley - cheers
F/b

Okay, bring it on....

Post 5

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

"waiting for mid-February, when I can start sowing the first of the new season's veggie seeds."
Do you ever sow broad beens in November and cover them during the winter months? It gives them a head start on the ones sown in Feb or March, and by the time the blackfly descend upon them (blackfly are partial to broad beans) the stems are too tough for the little blighters to get their teeth into. I did this one year, and the harvest I got from the early sown plants compared to the later ones was astonishing smiley - biggrin

Okay, bring it on....

Post 6

frenchbean

I've tried that here Gosho, but the winters are just a wee bit too harsh: so I sow my broads in the greenhouse in February and get them out into the ground as early as possible - usually March.

I do have garlic in the ground already - sown on November 14th. They should be just about ready to poke their shoots up I reckon.

smiley - cheers
F/b

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for frenchbean

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more