This is the Message Centre for aka Bel - A87832164

UK Centric

Post 1

aka Bel - A87832164

I just idly browsed through an edited entry and found the following bit of advice:

>>Please Note: h2g2 is not a definitive medical resource. If you have any health concerns, you must always seek advice from your local GP. You can also visit NHS Direct. <<

Yeah, like it would be of any use to me to visit NHS direct. Bute then it's not important, is it? After all, this is still a UK centric website.

UK Centric

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Try this source:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/

Even though it's physically in the US, the info is still useful, I think. smiley - winkeye

UK Centric

Post 3

toybox

smiley - hug

UK Centric

Post 4

aka Bel - A87832164

Why link to a website in the first place? Why not say 'contact a medical professional for advice' or something that isn't specific to a country (or five)?

UK Centric

Post 5

Yeah, I'm not sure if 'NHS Direct' is a website, it might be.

But that's a good point, We can bring it up. smiley - smiley

UK Centric

Post 6

Pheroneous II

I suggest that it might be healthier to avoid any contact with any part of the NHS.

To be fair, though, NHS Direct has proved to be a useful first port of call, should your local Pharmacy (in the UK) be closed.

Is there any info on the proportion of UK and non-UK researchers?

P

UK Centric

Post 7

aka Bel - A87832164

It is a website (it is linked to in the entry):

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/

UK Centric

Post 8

I don't know about Researchers. smiley - smiley Lots of non-UK users.

UK Centric

Post 9

aka Bel - A87832164

I don't have any stats. I only know that the goal was to make the site more international, but I don't see that happen any time soon. smiley - smiley

UK Centric

Post 10

U168592

NHS Direct is basically a website that offers symptom advice, but does culminate with a final sugestion to call an NHS Direct Adviser, which can only happen in the UK.

I would agree with Bel and suggest that Not Panicking Ltd. needs to edit all the medical advisory Entries with a disclaimer suggesting that medical advice should always be sought from a professional.

IMHO.

UK Centric

Post 11

aka Bel - A87832164

Thanks, Matt. I imagine they wouldn't have a problem with it, but it would be a lot of work.

UK Centric

Post 12

U168592

True, it would be a lot of work, but I would wonder why it wasn't queried in the first place - seems to be a hang up from BBC days, of which there are many I guess.

UK Centric

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

We could always just remove the medical warning. I know even the BBC thought it was a bit unnecessary.

UK Centric

Post 14

Icy North

That's a decision for the NPL legal team / policy committee.

UK Centric

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

Yes, you're right, Icy.

Key: Complain about this post