This is the Message Centre for maddogcooney

ART....CRAP...What's the difference????

Post 1

maddogcooney

I'm not talking about that Garfunkel fellah. No, I'm talking about art!

I've been thinking about art and what makes an artist and artist. I'm thinking about this as I'm making monsters out of scrap lumber, working on writing a book of sorts, playing music and all that.

Somebody called me an artist. I looked around to see who they were talking to. Man, a lot of times, I hear that title, "Artist" used like a badge of honor or some kind of ego trip. What a crock! Here's what it is:

Everyone has something to say, express, emote, show, do. The only difference between the "Artist" and the regular schmoes, and when I say schmoes, I mean the woman at Wal-Mart in the stirrup pants or the dude in the meshback cap and the firebird that's mostly rust and body putty, is this:

ARTISTS DO!

Yeah, that's right! Everyone has something deep, insightful or real to say. The people we call "Artists" are the ones who get up and DO it!! Whether you do it for approval or because you are inexplicably compelled to do so, the important part is, DO!

Why the hell do I write this crap? I've spent 4 hours writing. Two of those hours were spent writing stuff I hope nobody ever reads. The really compelling bits are the ones I write thinking someone else will read.

Why the hell do I make stupid looking monsters out of scrap lumber and old washing machines? I don't f***ing know! I just feel compelled to do so and I'm not scared to do it. My neighbors don't say a thing but I've seen them look askance at the 9 foot tall, bat-winged "Monster" in my back yard that's under construction. (I LOVE my neighbors!)

I don't think I'm anything special. The word "artist" is not in the paragraph that describes me but, objectively, it should be. I DO!. Yeah, it's all crap. But I'm doing. Nobody who ever had a feeling or great thought or cool idea was ever an artist if they didn't express it.

At times, I feel like I should be an art cheerleader. I want to look at all these regular schmoes (stirrup pants, meshback caps and all)) and say, "Go, Go, Go! Do it! Make something! Don't be afraid!!!" All that cool stuff in people's heads is lost if they don't put it out! Making art is not a luxury! It's a way of putting the most important part of ourselves out into the world. Don't let it die in the vault of your own mind which is locked tight with fear and self-recrimination!

I do that for myself. That's what compels me to build, play and write.....

CRAP!!

Long live Crap!!

Key: Complain about this post

ART....CRAP...What's the difference????

More Conversations for maddogcooney

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more