A Conversation for The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Too Easy

Post 1

Sara

As someone who enjoys playing Nintendo games, but is not a pre-pubescent boy, I am enjoying the fact that there has been nothing so far that has been too hard in the Legend of Zelda - Wind Waker.

New Nintendo games cost around A$100, and I find it exceedingly frustrating when I can only get half way or less into the game (I have only managed 25 or so stars in Mario Sunshine for example) becuase I hit some task that I cannont accomplish.

I like that in Wind Waker, you really can pick up the controller and play for 10 minutes - something generally not possible in stage based games. As a busy adult, this is important, as I can rarely find the opportunityto play for extended periods of time - that and getting time when my husband isn't playing on it.

Wind Waker currently looks like it might be the thrird Nintendo game I will finish completely, I'm looking forward to that.

Compared to the Others

Post 2

Aquinas

Granted The Wind Waker is certainly easier than the 3D classics that are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, yet it is still a brilliant game (not that anyone is denying that). When you face Ganondorf at the end, he is far too easy, albeit I never found him that difficult in Ocarina. Apart from this, the Wind Waker is a fascinating and absorbing game, which seems almost like Ocarina Part 2 (tying up the loose ends of the story). The sailing sections are quite enjoyable, certainly more so than traversing Hyrule Field in Ocarina (incidentally, it seems slightly ironic that the field is actually safer AFTER Ganondorf takes over, since the Peahats are removed). I agree that the King of Red Lions' refusal to go in certain directions is annoying, and does seem like a slightly mundane way of preserving some linearity in the game, but I agree that on the whole it is a very good game, a worthy successor to Ocarina (I always felt the Link's first 3D outing had too many Dungeons and not enough side-quests). The pure intoxicating nature of the story just gives Ocarina the edge, but the Wind Waker is close behind. In my opinion, however, they both pale in comparison to the pure surreal genius of Majora's Mask, even if the storyline is a little weak. The large number of masks, and fantastic cocept of repeating time (a la Groundhog Day?) set it apart. You can continually replay the game, with so little time and so much to do. Only two minor criticisms; the slightly weak storyline, and the fact that the Fierce Deity Mask makes the end battle too easy. Overall then, the Wind Waker ranks third among the 3D Zeldas, but when you consider the caliber of the other two, that is nothing to be ashamed of.

P.S. I'd love to hear an answer to these questions from the three games:

Ocarina: Do the Ice arrows have ANY use in the game?
Majora's Mask: Does the Circus Leader's Mask serve any purpose?
Wind Waker: If you've completed the game, is there any way to get a pictograph of Phantom Ganon and of the Wind Gods (Zephos and Cyclos) without replaying a new game?

Compared to the Others

Post 3

Aquinas

Granted The Wind Waker is certainly easier than the 3D classics that are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, yet it is still a brilliant game (not that anyone is denying that). When you face Ganondorf at the end, he is far too easy, albeit I never found him that difficult in Ocarina. Apart from this, the Wind Waker is a fascinating and absorbing game, which seems almost like Ocarina Part 2 (tying up the loose ends of the story). The sailing sections are quite enjoyable, certainly more so than traversing Hyrule Field in Ocarina (incidentally, it seems slightly ironic that the field is actually safer AFTER Ganondorf takes over, since the Peahats are removed). I agree that the King of Red Lions' refusal to go in certain directions is annoying, and does seem like a slightly mundane way of preserving some linearity in the game, but I agree that on the whole it is a very good game, a worthy successor to Ocarina (I always felt the Link's first 3D outing had too many Dungeons and not enough side-quests). The pure intoxicating nature of the story just gives Ocarina the edge, but the Wind Waker is close behind. In my opinion, however, they both pale in comparison to the pure surreal genius of Majora's Mask, even if the storyline is a little weak. The large number of masks, and fantastic cocept of repeating time (a la Groundhog Day?) set it apart. You can continually replay the game, with so little time and so much to do. Only two minor criticisms; the slightly weak storyline, and the fact that the Fierce Deity Mask makes the end battle too easy. Overall then, the Wind Waker ranks third among the 3D Zeldas, but when you consider the caliber of the other two, that is nothing to be ashamed of.

P.S. I'd love to hear an answer to these questions from the three games:

Ocarina: Do the Ice arrows have ANY use in the game?
Majora's Mask: Does the Circus Leader's Mask serve any purpose?
Wind Waker: If you've completed the game, is there any way to get a pictograph of Phantom Ganon and of the Wind Gods (Zephos and Cyclos) without replaying a new game?

Compared to the Others

Post 4

burnkrn

by the way, anyone played the new zelda that's come out on Nintendo Wii?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more