This is the Message Centre for Pastey

Pot and Kettle

Post 1

Pastey

Just been reading this article over at the beeb: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15553940

With Mr.Wales saying that censorship is a big problem for the future of the internet. I agree.

He's also pledged to withstand the trend. Good for him.

Does that mean that he's going to put something in place to stop all the big corporations and marketing agencies from hovering over entries about them on his site and making sure that nobody writes anything that could in the slighest way be seen as detrimental to their image, regardless of fact? I doubt it.

smiley - rose

Pot and Kettle

Post 2

Icy North

It's a tough one. Business is a game with strict rules. If Wales wants to position Wikipedia as a trusted resource to the corporate world, then he has to play the game.

You might then think this is an opportunity for h2g2, but when we start publishing less-than-complimentary exposes on particular employers, we'll rapidly find ourselves on corporate blacklists.

Pot and Kettle

Post 3

Pastey

We might, we may smiley - smiley The thing is, there's no editorial process over at wiki, and I think that's both it's good, and bad point.

It means that content can be put in place quickly, but it also means that there's no fact checking.

I know for a fact (through experience at marketing companies) that some corporations employ/contract people solely to sit and watch their wiki pages to make sure they all look pristine. It kinda turns the encyclopedia into an advert though.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Pastey

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more