This is the Message Centre for Pastey

Hanged Parliament

Post 1

Pastey

I may well be missing something here, but us a Hung parliament really a bad thing? when a party had a majority it means that the party whips can usually guarantee that a parties policies get voted through. For better or for worse, because that part has enough votes. In a hung parliament, the party doesn't have enough voted to guarantee a win, so surely this will mean that the policies they're trying to put through would have to be better and not popular to convince opposition mps to vote for them.

Yes it'll mean that policies will take longer to get through, but they'll surely be better thought out? Yes, mps will have to work more for their money, but shouldn't they anyway?

The only way I can see it being a problem is if everyone decides to coast along for the next 4 years.

So, am I missing something here, or is a hung parliament actually a good thing for the voters?

@;--

Hanged Parliament

Post 2

Vip

That was my thinking too. Surely if the whips have less power, it'll mean that policies get through on merit, not political power, right? smiley - erm

smiley - fairy

Hanged Parliament

Post 3

Pastey

That's why I keep thinking I'm missing something.

Obviously the politicians will spend more time bickering about it all, but surely some open debate would be a good thing? Maybe the viewing figures for the parliament channel will go up if you could tune in and see MPs going at it.

smiley - rose

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Pastey

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more