JackBill

Entry: Oceans: the Sea Floor - A1048501
Author: JackBill - U227680

How do you like it?

A1048501 - Oceans: the Sea Floor

Post 2

SomeMuppet

Hi Jackbill,

This is a good piece in a condensed version of the guide (maybe for PDA's smiley - winkeye)

There are a few things I'd want to point out

If this is going to be a piece on the bottom of the ocean, then remember it is probably going to be one of the last words on the ocean floor if it gets into the EG.

My initial feeling is that this entry has so much more to offer but has not been expanded upon.

What sort of life exists at the ocean floor, what about the volcanic vents, (perhaps even the formation of the Hawaiian/Polynesian islands from the Ocean floor.

Also what about the Marianas trench, the deepest point on earth? Plate Tectonics shaping the ocean floor (reference article A884469).

These are just a few suggestions for you to consider.

There are a few websites that can be used for reference such as

http://pubs.usgs.gov/publications/text/exploring.html
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/fliers/96mgg04.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2541393.stm

These were all reference by doing a google search on the words ocean floor

Of course these are just my opinions and suggestions.

Regards

KJsmiley - smiley

Post 3

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I'm in complete agreement with Kiltedjedi - this an excellent start, but needs more content.

There are a number of related Edited Entries you could link to...

A884469 - Plate Tectonics for Beginners (already mentioned I see smiley - ok)
A218954 - Black Smokers
A798230 - Deep-diving Submersibles - The Alvin

to name three.

If you want to include links you'll need to be writing the entry in GuideML - I didn't check first to see if you were using GML or plain text. If you're not keen on using GuideML, it's ok to use plain text - should your entry be picked for editing, the Sub-editor will put it into GuideML for you and add any appropriate links. It's worth having a crack at using GML though - it gives you so much more control over the final look of the entry.

smiley - geeksmiley - online2longsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - hangoversmiley - ok

Post 4

PQ

"The ocean floor"...."has the deepest trench in the world (Mariana Trench)."

Well it would wouldn't itsmiley - winkeye? ...I doubt even the daft old scientists thought the deepest trench in the world would be somewhere *other* than the ocean floor. Would it make more sense to say "has trenches as deep as 11 km (6.8 miles)"

Post 5

Ukkeli, Keeper of Article Free English

*Joins line and shares opinions about good start and adding little bit more flesh*

And then little bit more about this paragraph:
The abyssal plains have a rocky and barren landscape where new rock is constantly being formed as magma pushes the tectonic plates apart on either side toward the continents in a process called seafloor spreading which occurs in a ridge system rising up in the middle of an ocean basin often known as the mid-ocean ridge.

Actually plate forming mid-ocean ridges are not part of abyssal plains, and their surface area is much smaller than abyssal plains, so most of plains don't form new material. Mid-ocean ridges are not necessarily in middle of oceans, actually they rarely are. Mid-ocean ridges are known as well, mid-ocean ridges, that is one of few terms that geologists have some kind of agreement upon.

But, really good start and this could work as general "top" entry for other more detailed entries all ready in Guide.smiley - ok

smiley - snowman

Post 6

There are two ways of defining 'deep' where trenches are concerned PQ - the depth from the the top of the trench to the bottom, or the distance of the bottom of the the trench from a defined point somewhere on the face of the earth.

There are many deep trenches on dry land, but the Mariana trench probably wins hands down on both counts smiley - smiley

Post 7

PQ

I know goshosmiley - biggrin - I just had a "well - duh" moment when I read itsmiley - smiley and thought it could do with a bit of a tweak to make it a bit more specific.

(NB the 11km is below sea level)

Post 8

Almost two months since JackBill's last h2g2 posting....

smiley - geeksmiley - online2longsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - hangoversmiley - ok
Scout

Post 9

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

and now beyond. To the Flea Market, I'd say.

Post 10

I can think of at least one Researcher who wouldn't mind trawling for this one in the FM smiley - winkeye

Seconded smiley - ok

Scout

Post 11

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

ok, let me guess... it's a 'she', and her name starts with 'P', right?

Post 12

No smiley - tongueout

Key: Complain about this post