A Conversation for The Metaphysics of Immanuel Kant

The Problem of Noumenal Causation

Post 1

easyjacksn

The problem:

"Causation" is a catogory. Therefore, it cannot be that the noumenon causes the phenomenon.

In other words, we must first percieve the world in itself before we can understand it via the categories(one of them "causation"); but in order for the noumenal world to produce our perceptions we must say that it "causes" our perceptions. Clearly, this is a problem.

The most common solution is to interpret Kant's system as epistemological. This instantly dissolves the problem. However, according to Kenneth Westphal, "...our passive sensibility must be causally affected by non-spatiotemporal noumena." I haven't read Westphal, but apparently he claims that noumenal causation is not only coherent, but is actually *required* if one is to interpret Kantian metaphysics faithfully.

Any thoughts...?

Post 2

Noggin the Nog

I haven't red Westphal either, but I think I agree with the basic point. If the noumenon doesn't cause the phenomenon, then the phenomenon is either random or *entirely* internally generated.

Noggin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more