This is the Message Centre for BicycleSkald

Trying times

Post 1

BicycleSkald

My babushka died last night.

I'm not sad over it, at least not as much as I thought I'd be. She's had Alzheimers for some time now, and I'd said my goodbyes a long time ago. It's more the cumulative effect of losing three grandparents in four months, and the fact that all my grandparents are now dead. In some way, they felt like my ties to my family's long-gone past. Now that they're all gone I don't know what my connection to my family's past is.

Also, there is the realization that someday I'm going to have to look after, and witness the death of, my own parents. The thought is sobering, to say the least. They seem healthy now, but nobody can possibly say that they won't be struck down by a car tomorrow. Or that they won't simply stop breathing in the next five minutes. It makes a person question how they've lived their lives up until this point.

Well, I have a play to work on, and reading to do for monday's classes. Staying busy won't erase anything that's happened, or that's weighing on me, but maybe it will help a little.

May all beings be happy and at peace. smiley - zen

Key: Complain about this post

Trying times

More Conversations for BicycleSkald

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more