This is the Message Centre for azahar

a candle for Stu

Post 1

azahar

A year ago today my friend Stu died. Brain tumour. I met him because he was the boyfriend of my dear friend Lizzie who lives in Bristol. He was in his late-thirties when he died. It has been the third time the tumour had come back.

A few months before, Lizzie and Stu had come to visit me - he had just got over chemo treatment for the second time. We had a lovely visit. I was both happy and sad for them. They were both so desperately in love. They were both so brave. They were both so frightened.

A year ago today I was in a bookshop and suddenly felt Stu standing beside me. The three of us had been in the same bookshop, but it wasn't like a memory. Because Lizzie wasn't there. It was just Stu. When I got home I found the message from Lizzie that Stu had died earlier that morning.

Lizzie asked me to light a candle for Stu today, on the anniversary of his death. I thought - well, okay. Didn't realise how much seeing that tiny flame burning would make me cry all day long.

I wish you all could have known Stu. He was so lovely. He son was four when he died - Lizzie now stays in touch with Stu's family and his ex-wife because she also loves little Max. They planted a tree for Stu up on the downs. You see, they all want to keep Stu alive within them so much. It is a very happy-sad feeling.

So today is a sad-happy day. I wouldn't know this sadness if I'd never had the very good fortune to have met Stu. So I am happy for the sadness, if that makes sense.

A year ago today I sat at home having a smoke and a drink with ole Stu, remembering how much he liked to roll his own. Today it's just a glass of wine.

Sorry mate, have given up the cigs, myself. Though I'm sure you won't mind. Cheers, darling. I still miss you.

a candle for Stu

Post 2

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

smiley - rose

smiley - shark

a candle for Stu

Post 3

dancinglady (Life's truest happiness is found in the friendships we make along the way)

... and for all those who went before their time smiley - rose

dl

a candle for Stu

Post 4

azahar

thanks . . . I was a bit embarrassed after I wrote this (written and posted in five minutes without thinking). But anyhow. It was just about how I felt at the time.

az

a candle for Stu

Post 5

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Why be embarrassed about it? An honest emotional response to something. More power to your elbow, I say. smiley - smiley

smiley - shark

a candle for Stu

Post 6

Matholwch - Brythonic Tribal Polytheist

Speak of me and do not cry,
Say only truth,
No need to lie,

Tell them how I made you sad,
Made you laugh,
And drove you mad.

Stupid things that I would do,
And unspoken things,
Just for you.

Speak proudly of the things I did,
The heights I reached,
And the mistakes I hid.

Speak truly of me and you will find,
I have not gone,
Nor left you behind.

I am here in your memory,
Always with you,
So speak of me.

Blessings,
Matholwch /|\.

a candle for Stu

Post 7

azahar

thanks Math - that is truly lovely.

think I will send it to Lizzie, if you don't mind.

az

a candle for Stu

Post 8

Matholwch - Brythonic Tribal Polytheist

Az,

as always you are welcome, please send it on if it helps at all.

Well off on me hols,
See you Monday,

Matholwch /|\.

a candle for Stu

Post 9

a girl called Ben

One of the things which keeps me coming back to this site again and again is that here we talk about things we do not necessarily feel comfortable talking about in that most illusory of places - real life.

A smiley - rose for Lizzie, and another smiley - rose for Stu.

Life is - as they say - a bitch.

B

a candle for Stu

Post 10

sunny

smiley - rose

smiley - candle

smiley - star

sunny

( Titania's 'lighting a candle for...' : F57090?thread=85665&latest=1 )

Key: Complain about this post