A Conversation for Saxophones

Only seven types of sax?

Post 1

MartinC

For completeness, let's not forget the C melody sax, which is slightly smaller than a tenor, and in the key of C. This has the great advantage that you can read music not written specifically for the sax without having to transpose, and often in a simpler key. They're not always easy to find, as none have been made since the 1920s, but on the plus side they're generally not too expensive. I've got two - anybody want to buy one? They're just perfect for playing folky music.

Let's also not forget the C soprano sax, of which there are even fewer. (normal sopranos are in B flat) I've only got one of these, so you can't buy it.

Rarer still is the F mezzosoprano sax, of which a few were made, and fewer sold.

Only seven types of sax?

Post 2

Sidney Kidney, AKA Gruby Ben, friend of Dirty Den

I play Alto. Transposing is not so hard.

*Just thought I'd blow my own trumpet so to speak!*

Only seven types of sax?

Post 3

Velvet Icecream

hey now lets not forget about the Alto in F! and by the way the reason no one wants the melody C is because it is impossable to find reeds and mouth pieces and replacement parts since they are generally from the 20's. other then those things being annoying the fact that melody C's often have a stuffy sound because of the way the saxophone is made. and more then likely it would be quiet uncomfortable to play because of the odd neck shape, all i have to say is save your money unless you plan on just looking at it.

Only seven types of sax?

Post 4

Not Mongo

I am a sax player with a degree in music theory and composition, and a collector of old saxophones.

Actually, there was at one time (circa 1880-1910) a whole group of C and F saxes that were designed to be used as a family of the orchestra. The B-flat and E-flat horns used today were originally for use in military bands. I believe (I could be wrong) that Ravel's Bolero original score called for C and F saxes. Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you don't like saxes) the sax never really made it as an orchestral instrument and the band side of the family is the only one that really is used today.

Incidentally, the aformentioned C-melody sax is quite easy to come by in on-line auctions and usually inexpensive. Some of them are very beautiful and well-playing instruments no different (except in pitch), than their Eb and Bb counterparts.

Only seven types of sax?

Post 5

Not Mongo

P.S. In playing a C-melody sax, try using a short-shank tenor mouthpiece and reed.

Only seven types of sax?

Post 6

flamebezooomy

know this might be an iota of out of side to recall yet again,that this aconical graph "transcript"isnt about using words to objects of"idiot Y brown department stock room as a shop I own it I say what it is"in run of ruinings of anything at all,is connected with this subject written here in"hear me is"Temperence Seven of "the hairpin instrument used to be a rhubarb stik"Saxa salt talks of war for my are I own music are"stop that smell TALKING will you"iten?Of such dst uis dust BELIEVED as once being ON paper and connected with it,how then SAYS with vocal sounds that is what it is,how you know you cant burst the bubble to get through to get a word on of any of its matter,isnt it old brown shoe,shoo,go away,pretened you "KNOW"of a thing and have a fiddel,eh,writing is this SHAPE,ruin it for my?ruin is like rune,horse shoes?scratching d-j comes a one,numbers are real arent they,gods.....uhm.smiley - teasmiley - smooch

Only seven types of sax?

Post 7

flamebezooomy

how much money and from which currency is it you say you want?smiley - ale

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more