This is the Message Centre for ~:*-Venus-*:~

Whats in your kitchen cupboards?

Post 1

~:*-Venus-*:~

While i was at Kew at the weekend, i bought a book. 'How to grow orchids from seed' smiley - wow I only glanced at the book quickly, because i did'nt want to keep the others waiting at least an hour while i browsed every book smiley - laugh
Anyway, the reason the book caught my eye was the statement 'grow orchids from seed, using ordinary household implements' Great i thought, i can propogate the wild orchids in my garden and have loads of them smiley - boing
Now, i think my kitchen carries the usual run of the mill implements and utensils......though maybe not smiley - erm
How many of you have lurking in the back of your cupboards an Autoclave? petri dishes? glass stirring rods? powdered agar jelly? PH monitor? and digital scales that weigh .01 of a gram?
If you have any of those items in your kitchen, then all i can say is: Do you want this book i've bought? 'Cos it's no use to me, my kitchen on has KITCHEN stuff in it!! smiley - laugh

Post 2

Ivan the Terribly Average

So the book should really bear the slogan, 'Grow orchids from seed, using ordinary illicit drug lab equipment'. smiley - weird

Post 3

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

I know where I can find scales that are pleased with measures of 0.001 grams ... But the rest of the ingredients, well, milady tossed 'em all. She thought the autoclave was taking up just too much of our bath-room vanity. And the smiley - catsmiley - cat were not pleased with the scent from that assortment of agar-in-petrie-dishes scattered here and there. smiley - laugh

Post 4

aka Bel - A87832164

If I knew what it all meant, I'm sure I'd discover one or two of those things in our cellar - my husband being a forĀ“mer chemistry student. I bet I should find all of these things at my workplace, though. smiley - laugh

Post 5

hayayfi

Hello venus smiley - cheerupwas only thinking of you strangely enough last night I am sad to say that bar the autoclave and scales we have all the rest part of home educating smiley - erm

Just wondering we have put in a water feature in the back garden and I have transplanted Arrum lillies into the small pond ..I was going to put in some floating smiley - runlillies until the lady at the store told me that the frosts we get would kill them as they were tropical lillies I want something that will grow across the pond preferably something that flowers any suggestions of what might cope with frost and rain in winter and hot hot sun in summer?

Post 6

Skankyrich [?]

I've got a smiley - spork if that's any good to you, but I think they're only used for growing chillies.

Post 7

hayayfi

smiley - huh I think I am missing something or someone thought this was the thingites

Post 8

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

Around here, hayayfi, a smiley - spork is ALWAYS a good idea. Even if you aren't a Thingite. smiley - laugh

Post 9

smiley - bigeyes
I should have known that someone would have the stuff smiley - winkeye

I thought you only needed the smiley - spork after the chillies had been eaten! smiley - laugh

Hayayfi.
There are plenty of water lillies that don't die completely over winter. The ones we get here, just go dormant, like a perennial and come back once the temperature warms up. Would you like me to find some names for you, so you can see if they are available there? smiley - smiley

Post 10

aka Bel - A87832164

Well, it wouldn't be hootoo if there wasn't anybody, eh? smiley - biggrin
Just a shame that it's of no use to you. smiley - sadface

Post 11

Thats true B'el smiley - laugh
It is a shame that i did'nt take time to look at the book properly before i bought it smiley - erm
Never mind, the orchid seed will just have to take it's chance on finding somewhere to germinate. smiley - smiley

Post 12

aka Bel - A87832164

You could give it as a birthday gift to Rich smiley - evilgrin
Isn't it his birthday soon now? In a week, I think.

Post 13

Oh yes, it is his birthday soon. Somehow i don't think he would appreciate being sent a useless book smiley - laugh

Post 14

aka Bel - A87832164

It wouldn't be useless for him, he said he has a smiley - spork, didn't he? smiley - tongueincheek

Post 15

smiley - laugh Well.....in that case.... smiley - evilgrin

I have to go now, the tribe are visiting today. I have to do the housey stuff before they get here smiley - run

Post 16

aka Bel - A87832164

Have a great day. smiley - hug

Post 17

KB

Gas mark 6 for 20-30 mins. Works for nearly everything else, why not orchid seeds? smiley - silly

Post 18

With my history of ovens, i would'nt even risk it! smiley - laugh

Post 19

hayayfi

Yes please Venus smiley - magic that would be fantastic

Key: Complain about this post