A Conversation for Talking Point: A Good Read

Dorothy L Sayers & the Lord Peter Wimsey stories

Post 1

GraceK

I love reading but my comfort reading is always the Lord Peter Wimsey stories by Dorothy L Sayers. I have lost count of the number of times I have re-read them, particularly the ones involving Harriet Vane and each time I am amused, stimulated & often find something new.

Sayers' stories are often mentioned in the same breathe as Agatha Christie’s but I think they are far superior & should be better known. Whilst both sets of stories are set in the 1920's, Dorothy's mysteries are proper puzzles - she plays fair with the reader, giving you enough information to solve the mystery if you're paying attention. I don't believe she ever introduces a new character near the end of the story that is integral to the plot, (unlike Agatha). I have yet to meet anyone who’s figured out ‘Have His Carcass’ during their first reading.

The 1920’s are set in their proper context, unlike many other stories set in that era where the ‘jazz age’ is isolated in an bubble of fun and charleston-ing. The Art Deco glamour, the parties and the style are balanced by the problems created by the First World War and over shadowed by the trouble looming in mainland Europe.

The stories are also very funny. Lord Peter is a perfect gentlemen – on the surface he seems closely related to Bertie Wooster but he is a lot cleverer and (as a result) worries a lot more about the world and his place in it. Harriet Vane (the love of his life) is one of the few women I’ve ever come across in literature or the movies who seems like a real person to me – someone I respect and don’t spend my time shouting ‘pull yourself together’ at as I read.

smiley - fairy

Post 2

mags

I tend to go back to classic British crime novels for a comfortable read as well! I like Sayers (and likewise prefer the Wimsey/Vane stories) but am currently rereading a whole bundle of Ngaio Marsh 'Inspector Allyn' novels for my comfort reading. The novels tend to be set within the worlds of theatre or art. I'm also a total sucker for Margary Allingham's 'Campion' stories. He's like Wimsey but played with tongue very firmly in cheek.

Both those series of classic crime age their characters and take account of the changing times, unlike Christie which always feels like it's set in the amber hues of pre-war Britain. Whilst Campion starts out a daring young 1930s adventurer he ends up a spy during WW2, and Allyn goes from 1930s bohemia to the late 1960s (complete with having kids who grow up and leave home).

It's strange to think of novels whose main event is inevitably one or more murders as "comfort reading" but it's because whilst they don't exactly tax the brain, they do engage it. For some reason Sherlock Holmes only comes out in winter - it seems to suit being read in front of the fire on a dark night whereas Marsh, Allingham etc are more light evening reading.

Post 3

Agapanthus

I ADORE Dorothy L. Sayers! For all the reasons you mentioned as well. I also love Ngaio Marsh, highly superior to that cardboard cut-out purveyor Christie.

That's all. Just agreeing loudly.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more