This is the Message Centre for rev. paperboy (god is an iron)

Frankly Scarlett i don't give a rat's `@ss

Post 1

rev. paperboy (god is an iron)

NHK, the japanese version of BBC(or CBC for us canucks) ran "Gone with the Wind" tonight and as usual I just couldn' sit through the whole thing. Aside from the Phyllis Schafely anti-feminist crowd, I really don't understand how anyone can like the film as the main character - Scarlett O'Hara - is entirely unsympathetic. She is a manipulative, selfish, two-faced, conniving shrew. She wants Ashley Wilkes, an honest Southern Gentleman, but when he refuses to fall for her transparent tricks, she marries some poor bastard out of spite, and proceeds to try to break up Ashley's marriage later on. Rhett marries her, but she is jealous of his love for their child and can't understand his grief when the child dies.
Am I supposed to feel sorry for this woman? Am I supposed to feel sorry for the pro-slavery south that produced this spoiled, immature, self-serving harpy?
Maybe its a guy thing, but I just don't get the appeal of Gone with the Wind and Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

Post 2

Mudhooks: ,,, busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest...

We should start our own "Make Gone With the Wind Gone" club.... except I really don't give a damn...

I hate the movie, too, and have never understood why anyone does like it. Not only is the story overblown but it is filled with the usual stereotypical "po' foolish Darkies". If forcred to watch it, I spend my time looking for (the many, many) bloopers..... such as the glaring one when Scatlett is lounging on the porch with her dress spread out in a wide expanse..... with the giant and very visible shadow of a microphone smack dab in the centre. You couldn't miss it. It looks like a gigantic tarantula on her lap. If only it had been, bit her, and killed her off at that point in the movie.

Post 3

rev. paperboy (god is an iron)

Yeah the Butterfly McQueen line about" Lawdy Miss Scarlett 'I'se doan know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies" used to get spouted around here a lot when it was diaper-changing time.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for rev. paperboy (god is an iron)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more