A Conversation for My Hedgehog Story

Hedgehog Family

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

A good few years ago, we had a hedgehog visit our garden with three babies in tow. The next night, the three babies were still there but the parent was gone. We looked after the three, but one left, then another and we were left with only one. We looked after him, feeding him on catfood (not fish-based), which he loved. He would come up to us when he heard the sound of the plate being rattled. For the rest of the time, we could hear him tramping around in the shrubs, eating slugs. He grew big and fat. I built a house for him out of a few bricks and a slate, but he built his own house out of leaves. Then November arrived and he disappeared. One day I peeped into the house I had built and there he was curled up. The following March he reappeared, tramped around the garden for a few nights and then was gone. We never saw him again.

Definitely a privilege.

Hedgehog Family

Post 2

STRANGELY STRANGE ( A brain on a spring )

Yep, they certainly do like to eat garden slugs, a good swap for a bit of cat food!
I like the fact you and article writer have left the Hogs to act naturally and just given a bit of extra food and shelter. I was lucky to see one cross my lawn one night, the first sighting in around 40 years for me!

Hedgehog Family

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Our garden was clear of slugs for about a year after the hedgehog left. I presume he had eaten all the babies as well as the big ones.

Hedgehog Family

Post 4

shakysailorman

Hi Gnomon, sorry to miss your original posting, you may have seen from my space that I've been sailing accross the Atlantic and have only just returned, (I even missed seeing my own story). Your hog experience is much like mine, what great little creatures they are. It sounds like you are as soft as me! They need more of us if they are to avoid extinction and I hope yours comes back in the spring. Enjoy Florida, I've just returned fron St Lucia and believe me the difference in climate will take your breath away!

Hedgehog Family

Post 5

shakysailorman

Hi Strangely Strange,
As you will see from my recent posting, I've been away and missed your original message, sorry about that. An amusing aside about hogs eating slugs is that the food I was putting out must have had more appeal. I managed to snap a super picture of the hogs in my garden sharing the feeding bowl with an enormous slug! Both species seemed oblivious to the other.

Hedgehog Family

Post 6

STRANGELY STRANGE ( A brain on a spring )

Cor blimey, that is a weak excuse, lol!
Rather you than me, my stomach wouldn't aprreciate it!
It must be hot where you are, I just had to melt the ice on my garden waterbowl so Squirells, birds, etc can get a drink. It has frozen for 3 days in a row in cold Uk.

Hedgehog Family

Post 7

shakysailorman

Hi Strangely
A mere 84 degrees when I left.... Eat your heart out!!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for My Hedgehog Story

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more