This is the Message Centre for Laura

The 2005 London Summer Meet (Unc's Account)

Post 1

Laura

PSG came down Friday evening, and about lunch time Saturday we went off to Hemel Hempstead town centre smiley - yawn. The Harry Potter book went on sale then and I had to get it for my mother before her birthday the day after. Getting that we then walked to the station and got a train to Euston. From there we found a bus to Liverpool Street, then walked to St. Pauls where we had a look around. After that we went on to 42 Ludgate Hill. It wasn't even 4pm yet so we were the first to arrive.

About 20 minutes later we noticed there were two people in 'drinking against terrorism' t-shirts. One of them I knew I should recorgnise but really could decide who it was smiley - doh. After about 10 minutes of speculation I eventually asked them, and it turned out to be ReddyFreddy and roymondo smiley - biggrin. Then people arrived and we began to fill the pub as usual.

I can't really say much about the next couple of hours, they were largely spent generally trying to work out who people were, talking and going off for some food (the pub stopped serving at five smiley - doh). After that the italics arrived and things started happening again. Jimster made his opening speech, saying there would be some announcements later on. PSG and I got talking to Whoami?, Dusk and Xanatic who became our quiz team. The first round was a music round, so there was no hope for us. We came last. smiley - laugh I was a bit miffed about that as the winners got the new h2g2 t-shirts smiley - wah. However, I did get a pin badge smiley - biggrin.

After that Jimster made his announcements. The h2g2 University of Life is reopening smiley - boing, but this time its focus will be collaborative entries. The will be a little feature to acknowledge the work of people such as the community artists smiley - artist. There will be badges like the volunteer badges for people who write 25, 50, 75 and 100 solo Edited Entries (Jimster said if anyone writes more than 100 they get one saying 'no one likes a smart arse' smiley - laugh). There are also some special enamol badges for people who make an increadible service to h2g2. 2legs got the first of these for being the most prolific poster.

Most exciting of all though...

THERE ARE GOING TO BE NEW SMILIES!!! smiley - boingsmiley - magicsmiley - cakesmiley - bubblysmiley - wow

Shortly after the announcement PSG and I had to leave in order to ensure getting a train home. We managed this and got back fine. smiley - biggrin

Post 2

Heleloo - Red Dragon Incarnate

smiley - envy

you lucky tings, sounds like a good meet as usual

smiley - biggrin

did they say what new smilies?

smiley - biker

Post 3

Laura

It was good smiley - smiley

I just left a message on your space about that actually - basically the community artists can take their pick from the suggested smilies,

except one,

there'll definately be a smiley - biker smiley smiley - magic

Post 4

happy, happy, joy, joy

smiley - wow

oh congrats on your degree thingysmiley - biggrin

Post 5

Laura

smiley - boing

Thanks smiley - biggrin, to be honest I keep forgetting I've graduated smiley - laugh

Post 6

smiley - laugh

still the same old Uncsmiley - laugh

Post 7

Laura

Some things don't change smiley - biggrin.

Post 8

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - biggrin So you had a good time smiley - boingsmiley - blush I thought it was very good too smiley - magicsmiley - cool

Post 9

Laura

It was great smiley - boing, another meet well organised smiley - ok

Post 10

smiley - yikes don't use the O****** word! smiley - winkeyesmiley - run

Post 11

Laura

I admit I try to avoid it, anything I attempt to organise goes very wrong smiley - laugh. The things I don't plan to do though go much better smiley - biggrin

Post 12

smiley - biggrin its a bit like that with the meets; asides keeping the atendee list up to date, it relaly does just kinda orgnaise itself smiley - biggrin

Post 13

summerbayexile

Hi Unc,
Didn't know you'd graduated, but then again I've been on library computers for 4 months so I've only lurked occasionally. Many congrats!! Didn't know until Friday morning that the London meet was on Saturday so I missed out despite only living 45 mins from the capital. Would just have been great to finally meet you. No job yet- too expensive apparently now I have my M Ed!! Hopefully I'll get back to paid work soon, but for the moment I'm a househusband ----- but don't lets start that again!!!!!!!!!!!smiley - biggrin
Take care and I hope to be back full time on hootoo next month.
SBE xx

Post 14

Laura

Hi SBE smiley - biggrin, I only graduated on Wednesday so it wasn't long ago smiley - smiley. I'm on jury service at the moment so never a dull moment smiley - laugh. I'm doing the job hunting thing too, is certainly hard work smiley - bigeyes. 45 mins from capital? That's about the same distance as I am (I live in Hemel Hempstead, though only for about another 2 weeks). smiley - biggrin

Post 15

summerbayexile

I'm in Kent for the forseeable future. Its a real pain waiting for jobs but I'm used to it. As one of my friends put it I don't have a career path, more a career maze!!!!!smiley - biggrin Would love to meet up sometime. I'll leave my e-mail on your space.
SBE

Post 16

Laura

Have sent email smiley - biggrin, but just in case you don't get it, my email address is on the bottom of my space smiley - smiley.

Key: Complain about this post