This is the Message Centre for Laura

What I did on my holidays

Post 1

Laura

Well, I managed to spend a whole ten days with PSG smiley - wowsmiley - loveblush. Normally we only see each other for a weekend every three weeks or so, so a whole ten days was greatly appreciated. We thought about going camping for a bit, but lacked some of the prerequisits, i.e. a tent smiley - doh. Seeing as quite a lot of great places to walk were within an hours drive away, there didn't seem much point camping anyway, so I just stayed with PSG's family. smiley - smiley

The first weekend we did practically nothing at all. After all that coursework before the end of term, having a lie-in, breakfast in bed and a walk in the park was fantastic smiley - magic.

On the Monday we went to Vinderlanda, the big Roman fort on Hadrian's wall where they keep digging up those tablets. It was a lovely sunny day, we were going to go walking but didn't get round to it. Saw a lot of old boots though; the soil was apparently good at preserving leather, so the museum was full of all these centuries old footware, which were in better shape than my old trainers smiley - laugh

On Tuesday I worked on some coursework while PSG brushed up on his programming.

Wednesday we went to a different part of Hadrian's wall, Chester's fort this time. The fort was unsuprisingly very similar to the other one we saw, but comparatively more complete. We went on to the temple to Mithras and walked along the wall for a bit.

Thursday we did some more work in the morning, and then went shopping in the afternoon. PSG's a really fussy shopper, but he really needed a waterproof coat (whether he wanted one or not smiley - evilgrinsmiley - laugh) ready for more serious rambling in June smiley - biggrin. His parents were quite impressed when we actually came back complete with coat smiley - laugh

Friday we went off to a sandy bay somewhere. We just headed northwards and stopped where seemed like a good place to stop. I think it was Druridge Bay, something like that smiley - erm. Had a nice walk along the beach.

Saturday we met up with my family, who were staying near my aunt's house so that they could meet PSG's family the following day. We went to my aunt's house and then headed off towards the Lakes, but thanks to stopping along the way and the thick fog, we never actually got there smiley - laugh. Still there were some lovely views.. or at least would have been if we coud have seen anything. smiley - biggrin We had dinner at my aunt's place whilst she told us all about how the house was haunted smiley - erm. We didn't leave until quite late, which meant poor PSG got his first bit of night driving experiance through thick fog and rain. We'd also missed the first episode of Dr Who, but he'd had the foresight to tape it on two machines.. just in case smiley - biggrin.

On Sunday morning we went off to visit my parents and the twins (my 11 year old brother and sister) in the caravan. After lunch went with them to PSG's place for the long awaited meeting of families. It actually went increadably well; no arkward silences, no embarrasing family stories, just a long good chat smiley - biggrin. After my family had left we watched that Dr Who episode, was great smiley - wow

Monday my parents were meant to phone so we could meet up again.. they forgot smiley - cross. PSG and I went to Penshaw monument and park instead. I was very pleased to find a trig point by the monument, somehow for me it makes a weekend complete, something to do with the rambler in me I guess smiley - laugh.

Tuesday was time to go smiley - sadface, I never did like Tuesdays..
Back in Nottingham now for more coursework *sigh*. The odd thing is that this coming term is my last one at uni smiley - weird Where did the time go? smiley - huh

Post 2

Lizzbett

Sounds like you had a lovely timesmiley - smiley. Shame you didn't get to see the lakes though.

So, are you scared about coming to the end of your time at university, or are you excited?

Post 3

Laura

I didn't mind, wasn't all that long ago when I was last there, up Scarfell Pike, and we had a good meal in a pub with good smiley - alesmiley - biggrin

Mixed feeling really, but generally speaking I'm excited smiley - biggrin.

Post 4

Researcher 556780

smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Laura

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more