This is the Message Centre for LostFreckles

Hi LostFreckles

Post 1

Icy North

...and welcome to h2g2. Just followed you here from the Perkins thread. I see you asked the question in your Freckles entry about getting pictures into articles.

The answer is that we are a bit limited on this site - you can't just upload anything you like - but there are possibilities:

First, you need to convert your entry to Guide-ML, then you can add pictures from the <./>GuideML-PictureLibrary</.>

Be aware, though, that if you want to submit your entry for the Edited Guide, then you can't add your own pictures. The Editors may pick an appropriate one when they publish it on the Front Page.

Having said that, there are two ways to get involved in the picture process: If you're nifty with a graphics package then you might like to join the CommunityArtists, who illustrate entries. Alternatively, there's the h2g2 Photographers group - see A15846438 -who submit their own snapshots.

Hope this begins to help! I see you've also been left an ACE Welcome message, which gives you a lot more info and links to help you find your way around this place.

smiley - cheers Icy

Hi LostFreckles

Post 2

LostFreckles

Thanks for the info Icy. I'll check out the GuideML pics and also the photographers group, as I do a bit of that. smiley - smiley

Hi LostFreckles

Post 3

Icy North

smiley - ok Great! Let me know how you get on.

smiley - cheers Icy

Hi LostFreckles

Post 4

LostFreckles

Hi again Icy. Is there a way to find out what the latest posts are? I tried following the links from the front page but they all seemed to lead me to people's journals.

Hi LostFreckles

Post 5

Icy North

Hi LF smiley - smiley

There sure is - try this: <./>info?cmd=conv&show=100</.>

Is that what you were looking for?

smiley - cheers Icy

Hi LostFreckles

Post 6

Icy North

That Front Page feature is quite new. Originally it did link to the conversations, but there were complaints that people were getting a lot of unwanted interlopers in their 'private' conversations. The Editors didn't want to abandon the idea, so instead they linked them to the forum that the conversation is on - you'll have to find the conversation in the list if you want to access it that way.

Hi LostFreckles

Post 7

Icy North

...and the Front Page doesn't show the 'laest' posts - just a selection of recent popular ones. I don't know exactly how they compile it, to be honest.

Hi LostFreckles

Post 8

LostFreckles

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks icy. smiley - gift I wanted to put a link on my space but it keeps telling me 'illegal use of ampersand', possibly because of the question mark in the link. Is there a way around that? It seems kind of hard to find out where everyone is 'chatting' and I don't want to butt into anyone's private conversations. smiley - erm

Hi LostFreckles

Post 9

Icy North

It's not the question mark, it's the ampersand & which is a restricted character.

Replace it with the following:

&amp;

and you'll be OK.

An example link statement would be:

<LINK H2G2="info?cmd=conv&amp;show=100">Latest 100 conversation postings

smiley - cheers Icy

Hi LostFreckles

Post 10

LostFreckles

Ah, thank you again icy, you're a smiley - star. The 'illegal' bit was coming up next to the question mark so I thought it was that!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for LostFreckles

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more