This is the Message Centre for kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 1

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

They've ruined my list of entries smiley - cross

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/MA212656?type=2

This is important because I need to be able to go back and keep track of which pages I've created where. If it's just a long list of duplicates with names completely irrelevant to h2g2, then why bother having a list at all?

CWTBG.

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 2

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

This is a test post (can't get it to post elsewhere)...

TITLE:

LINK:

A NUMBER:

DATE CREATED:

EDITED BY - NAME:

EDITED BY - U NUMBER:

EDITED BY - LINK TO PS:

TEAM:

BBC?:

BARLESQUE?:

APPROVED/EG?:

COMMENT:

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 3

Ivan the Terribly Average

That is, officially, deeply weird.

At the risk of hurting your eyes, you could look at the list in Brunel. It's different in Brunel and doesn't appear to have all that irrelevant guff all over it.

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 4

That's a real dilemma: a problem where brunel is the solution smiley - headhurtssmiley - winkeye

It looks like the problem first occurred in August 2009. I'm trying to remember what happened then, I assume it was some kind of upgrade.

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 5

There have been a few upgrades with suboptimal outcomes in recent years; this looks like another one of the 'undocumented features' resulting from something like that. (When was the BBCiD fiasco?)

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 6

I think bbcID was around this time last year, but to be honest I've lost count.

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 7

Yes, one piece of inadequate regression testing looks much like another. smiley - geek

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 8

smiley - laughsmiley - snork

Indeed.

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 9

Effers;England.

I like your Pyrenean caddis fly larvae entry kea smiley - winkeye

And finally yes you were right about the sub-headings. I prefer your version.

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 10

It's a good entry. Good enough for the EG in fact smiley - whistlesmiley - winkeye

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 11

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

What happened in August 2009 was the PS split. Previously, you had one PS across all DNA sites. That meant that posts in your message centre or journal could be read in all the h2g2 skins, and in the Action Network skin, or the Hub skin, or whatever. In 2009, that was changed. You now have a completely different PS on all the different sites. And you can't edit the version on the Hub, and probably haven't bothered editing any of the others (because you don't know they exist), so all those ones are copies of what your PS used to be like before the split. (My Hub PS is different. I asked Jim Lynn very nicely at the time, and he edited it for me.)

Now, as you know, your PS is an Entry, with an A-number. At one time in the dim and distant past (I don't remember this), you could read the A-version of someone's PS, looking like a normal entry, without all the other stuff that PSs have. Nowadays, you can't do that: the A-number version merely redirects to the U-number version.

Now that there's been a PS split, you of course have many many A-number versions of your PS, one for every DNA site. For some reason, these all show up in Alabaster, but are invisible in Brunel. (They still mess up Brunel. There are twenty articles to a page. Your PS articles are included in the count, even though they're invisible, so the pagination is a little odd.)

TRiG.smiley - geek

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 12

Effers;England.

I don't understand any of this thread apart from post 10..and obviously my own post 9 smiley - laugh

So kea you are suggesting that horror story should start up again?

Yeah it should go in the guide, I agree.

Do I have to do anything?

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 13

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

at the mention of the caddis fly larva re-entering the scene.

I'm all for it smiley - biggrinsmiley - booksmiley - grovel

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 14

Thanks TRiG, is that likely to be something that gets sorted when we move? eg will there just be a load of broken links, or will the list lose the bbc ones?

Effers, maybe Lanza can just pick the entry? From what I remember the entry was pretty much good to go. Do you want to use the one with the headers?

Lanza, will it have to go back into PR for that or can you pick it from where it is now (it's marked as not for review)?

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 15

Effers;England.

Little did I know in the far away summer of my youth in the Pyrenees it would all come down to this...smiley - laugh

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 16

Oh, and I can make a pretty strong case for you not having to go through the PR process again with this entry Effers smiley - ok We should be able to sort this so you don't have to deal with that kind of stress.

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 17

Effers;England.

Yes the header one you did.

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 18

smiley - ok Hopefully there will be a straightforward way that Lanza can pick the entry. You might have to drop it back in PR briefly so she can pick it from there.

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 19

Effers;England.

I don't care about the stress..I'm not an invalid.

But there's no rush.

thanks a bloody lot bbc

Post 20

Effers;England.

Yes let Lanza tell me what to do.

smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

thanks a bloody lot bbc

More Conversations for kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more