This is the Message Centre for toybox

Back from the German Meet

Post 1

toybox

Came back earlier from the German Meet. Read up a detailed account in some of the other participants' journals (and probably next week's <./>thepost</.&gtsmiley - winkeye!

Having combined this with a work trip and, of course, ignoring all sorts of transportation devices in favour of driving twice 900km, this means I'm pretty nackered, and rather unsure I make sense. Even less than usual, that is.

smiley - weird

So, I was happy to meet again --

Sho, TC, Bel, Stunningfrenchie

and it was a delight to see for the first time --

Wandrin' Star, Gnomon, Zendevil and MazinMadFiddler (who kindly provided a smiley - towel for the head-in-the-clouds like me who didn't carry one smiley - yikes)

Post 2

aka Bel - A87832164

Glad you made it there and back safely. smiley - hug

How anybody could choose to do such a long journey driving a car instead of taking the train is beyond me, though. smiley - laugh

Post 3

toybox

I actually like driving, and it is convenient to have a car to carry stuff and move around. I think the same trip using only trains would have been more cumbersome, especially since there was a border to cross smiley - yikes And trains are more expensive in general* smiley - rolleyes, so it's a matter of principle.

But all in all, I wouldn't drive another 900km next week smiley - silly

However, I will try and use trains more often, at least for straightforward journeys.

* ie, when you don't spend too much time and energy looking for the best price. I mean, I think the standard train fare for one person, one way, between Bielefeld and Cologne is more expensive than driving there and back!

Post 4

aka Bel - A87832164

You are right, if you can't plan far ahead and hunt for special offers, train tickets are too expensive.

Post 5

Sho - employed again!

That's true
smiley - hug to toybox.

I am still quite shocked and stunned that I managed to find the EUR29 tickets for my trip!

Post 6

You can call me TC

You could register with the Mitfahrzentrale and give people lifts. They then pay you a little for the trip, but less than what they would pay for the train, and the more of you in the car, the more economical it is.

Anyway, it was great that you could make it - you were a very valuable addition to our party (particularly as it improved the male:female balance)

And thank you for texting me when you got home. I received it just as I was walking home from the station myself.

Post 7

toybox

Glad to be of service smiley - cheers

I will check out the Mitfahrerzentrale, thanks for the tip!

Post 8

zendevil

Zer gut meat!!!!smiley - somersault

I am now in Neustadt, in MiL Internet cafe, it was tres wunderbra to get to see you allsmiley - hug

Blueberry sends Bare Hugs to you all. No doubt Stunning Frenchie's new tortoise does also. Hope Gnomon's badger arrived home safely. The bushbaby is almost housetrained now.

So...which of us wins thesmiley - gift of "Mostly Harmless Maniac in Mannheim"?

smiley - evilgrin

zdt

Post 9

Sho - employed again!

I'm wondering if people all over Mannheim are blogging that they survived the h2g2 meet...

Post 10

You can call me TC

Hi Terri - how's things in Neustadt? Glad you seem to have survived the trip. Hope the address was right.

Post 11

Superfrenchie

smiley - smiley Terri Tortoise, aka Aeschylus, sends all her love to her new friends, especially to the plush ones. smiley - ok

Post 12

zendevil

I survived Neustadt, despite control freak (but nice) MiL, smiley - tasmiley - hug for phoning P to see if i'd made it home.

It was such a great meet, shall the next one be in Eye Land? I am happy to do the organising, Mal suggests we meet at her smiley - ghost house, that should scare any tourists away....

zdt

Post 13

toybox

Maybe we'll even scare smiley - ghost

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for toybox

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more