This is the Message Centre for toybox

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 1

toybox

Well, it's snowing all over Germany, roads are freezing, rain turns to ice and generally smiley - brr

Is it really sensible to undertake a 900km* drive to France tomorrow? As far as I know, except the source and target cities it's highway only. And a little shortcut through a village in Belgium, which I may skip.

Oh, and one single giant Baustelle between Hamburg and Bremen smiley - rolleyes

* 560 miles

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 2

Vip

Um, sensible? No, not really. Although if you stick to the main highways they should be salted/gritted, right?

What's it for?

smiley - fairy

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

Excuse my poor geographical knowledge, but why are you going via Bremen? smiley - bigeyes

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 4

Effers;England.

smiley - erm Oh toybox, I feel for you. Statistically you're probably fairly safe, but yes it's scary when you can't be sure at any moment that you might just hit a patch of ice or some idiot might crash into you.

I don't know the detail of how well roads generally are treated for ice in Germany and France, so yeah I can't really say what I'd do.

But smiley - goodluck with whatever you decide to do. And big kisses and happy holidays to you. smiley - smooch

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 5

Sho - employed again!

Roads here are pretty clear and no snow on the way from what I can gather, so this part of your journey will probably be ok.

Not sure about France though. Are you sure you REALLY want to go there? smiley - run

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 6

toybox

I'll try and find out how bad the situation is on the roads before I leave, don't worry smiley - biggrin And if it takes me more than 2 hours to Hamburg I will turn back. I certainly expect highways to be salted or gritted!

I'm going back to see my family, in particular that bit of family which usually lives in an overseas department near Madagascar.

smiley - brr

B'El - it would appear that the road through Bremen is the shortest. Although, according to Mappy, a detour through Hannover (and Bielefeld smiley - magic) would be only 30km more, and I would avoid the giant Baustelle. Mmh, actually that's quite worth thinking about.

Plus, the highway around Hannover (all the way between hamburg - Hannover - Bielefeld and maybe till Dortmund) is mostly 2 or 3 lanes, quite pleasant to drive on, if somewhat boring.

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 7

toybox

Thanks Fourmis volantes smiley - smooch

Sho - that's quite reassuring to read smiley - cheers I don't really think the roads are much worse in SH than in NRW, too. Apparently in France, where my parents live, they have a heat wave anyway (+5 degrees C, or 40 F). The Ardennes might be cooler though.

All in all it will depend on how I feel about it tomorrow. I just need to remember bringing plenty of CDs, and a smiley - book too smiley - biggrin

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 8

Icy North

Have a safe journey, TB. Be prepared for the worst, and it probably won't happen.

smiley - smiley

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 9

fords - number 1 all over heaven

You'll be fine as motorways are generally the safest roads in snowy weather smiley - winkeye

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 10

Superfrenchie

As far as I know, Ardennian roads have been taken care of. smiley - snowball
It even *rained* in Reims today! smiley - erm
So. I think the end of the journey shouldn't be much of a problem. smiley - ok

smiley - hug

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 11

Sho - employed again!

Hi Toybox! I've been out this morning and it feels positively warm, although it's apparently -3°C so later it should warm up (we're expecting rain)

Not sure where you are, but today is the last day of school in NRW so expect some staus as soon as you get here.

Anyway: even the tiny road in our village is clear of ice and only corners and some less well driven parts (by roundabouts and on sharp corners) are a bit icy - but since you'll be whizzing along the Autobahn I think the only trouble (driving wise) you'll encounter are the staus because of the holidays, Lorry drivers trying to get back for Christmas and rain.

Have a really good trip!

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 12

You can call me TC

*wonders how Toybox is doing* Shouldn't be too bad. There's no snow at all here now, and all motorways are fine. The airports are open again too.

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 13

toybox

Hey there

Indeed, the road was sunny, warm, dry, and there wasn't even any traffic jam (in my direction at least) smiley - magic

So now I'm safe in Reims, though I may not post too much ('cos of diallup, mainly).

So just in case, Happy Christmas to everybody!

smiley - mistletoe

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 14

aka Bel - A87832164

I'm really glad you made it, especially after I've watched the news.

Have a very merry Christmas. smiley - smooch

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 15

toybox

smiley - hug

Merry Christmas to you too smiley - smooch

smiley - pggb

The news smiley - rolleyes My family told me as much (that news reports looked terrible). And then they wonder why people get mistrustful.

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 16

aka Bel - A87832164

I was about to tell you to stay in Kiel, it sounded all so horrible.

Great it wasn't true.

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 17

toybox

It could have been an exceptionally mild day. Even in the little Belgian village roads were clear!

And I went by Hannover, for 20 extra km you get 3 lanes most of the way and an occasional 2 lanes only. Beats a 100km long roadworks smiley - biggrin

Not that there's anything wrong with Kiel. When will you be around next time?

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 18

zendevil

When & where is the German meet, Toybox? Peter was born in Bremen; then moved to ?Einbrück? then Gütting; we go across to Germany quite often from Ireland; it would be great to meet up!

As far as i remember from living in SW France, they didn't much bother with snow clearing; but it rarely snowed enough to worry about.

P is off to Norway this week & it seems OK travel-wise according to his son, who has just moved there, only minus 25°C, but roads, rail, airports are OK.

zdt

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 19

toybox

Yes, meeting up would be smiley - magic but the German meet will take place in April*. Ah yes, it appears that we have decided upon 24th of April. The location is not quite clear yet; suggested locations include:

Hanover - Mannheim - Hamburg - Heidelberg

You can vote in the following thread: F15643345?thread=7208849

* of course, unofficial mini-meets can be arranged any time smiley - smiley

Chilly, isn't it?

Post 20

You can call me TC

I'd love to meet you Teri!

Key: Complain about this post