A Conversation for The Unknown Warrior

The British reciprocated, or the Americans did?

Post 1

kuzushi

The article states:

"The Medal of Honor was conferred on the Unknown Warrior on behalf of the United States of America by General Pershing on 17 October 1921, and this hangs in a frame on a pillar nearby. The British reciprocated, and presented the Victoria Cross to the American Unknown Soldier."

However, according to this entry A665192 about the Victoria Cross:

"The award is always published in the London Gazette - the only exception being the award made to America's Unknown Soldier buried at Arlington National Cemetery. America's highest honour, the Congressional Medal of Honor, was awarded in turn to Britain's Unknown Warrior interred in Westminster Abbey."

Post 2

kuzushi

From Wikipedia:

...the Medal of Honor was presented to the British Unknown Warrior by General Pershing on October 17, 1921; later the U.S. Unknown Soldier was reciprocally awarded the Victoria Cross, Britain's highest award for gallantry, on November 11, 1921. Apart from these few exceptions...

Post 3

Mina

I don't remember where I got the information from, but I am very careful in my research (not relying on webpages etc) so I think it's safe to assume this is correct and the Victoria Cross entry is incorrect.

I'll let the Eds know and they can decide! Thanks for pointing it out, and thanks for reading my Entry.

Post 4

Mina

Thank you, this has been sorted, courtesy of the delete key for the wrong info.

Thanks so much!

Post 5

kuzushi

That's good smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more